Video Screencast Help

Strange selection list with SQL in BackupExec 2012

Created: 03 Jan 2013 | 9 comments
GRB's picture

I am attempting to back up a SQL server.  When I go in to edit the job I get a bunch of folders called DSBACKUP with what looks like a GUID after them.  I have no idea what these folders are or why they are there.  Admittedly I am not a SQL guy but can someone tell me what they are, are they normal and how can I get rid of them.

Please see attached screen shot.

Thank you.

Discussion Filed Under:

Comments 9 CommentsJump to latest comment

pkh's picture

I believe these are shared directories.  Try selecting them, expand and see their contents.

GRB's picture

Darn, I should have included that in my orginal post.  When I expand them I get a 'browse failure'.  Please see second screen shot attached.  I have probably 30 of these folders.  I'm sure this isn't normal.  I've never seen it on any other SQL server I've backed up.

Thank you again for any help you can provide.

screenshot2.jpg
Vivek Jain's picture

Guessing by the icon, it looks like shares...From the Backup Exec button - Configuration & Settings - Backup Exec Settings - Network & Security, uncheck the option "Enable selection of user shares" & these folders should not be displayed under the backup selections..

GRB's picture

Thank you VJware, they are indeed shares and if I uncheck the box and you suggested, the entries do in fact go away.  However that does bring up another question.

When I went to computer management to see if they are in fact shares, the definitely are.  Sorry to keep adding screen shots but it is the easiest way to explain.  There are probably 30 or more of the shares as seen in the screen shot.  I also just notices the of these folders on the Exchange server.  Any idea where they are coming from?

These are virtual machines.  I checked in VMware and there are no existing snapshots.

Thanks again for your prompt responses.

screenshot3.jpg
Vivek Jain's picture

Are you using Symantec System Recovery as well ?

GRB's picture

Any other ideas as to where these shares are coming from?

Thank you.

Andrew Madsen's picture

These are Volume Shadow Copy Shares as noted by the VSS$ at the end of the GUID. They are used when you do a hot backup of the SQL database or Exchange data base. I believe they should be deleted when the backup finishes. What is your version of VMware? There have been bugs in the 4.0 VAPI that did not allow for the snapshot deletion. I would have the folder checked ion the ESX server and see if you are filling it up with snapshots.

The above comments are not to be construed as an official stance of the company I work for; hell half the time they are not even an official stance for me.

GRB's picture

I did look in VMware.  There are no existing snapshots, at least when looking using vsphere client.

Are you talking about browsing the datastore of the vm?  I'll look in there.