Endpoint Encryption

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Stuck at logon on Windows 7 after upgrading to 10.2.0MP1

• 1.  Stuck at logon on Windows 7 after upgrading to 10.2.0MP1

Posted Oct 28, 2011 11:17 AM

I have had PGP desktop on my laptop and desktop for years.  I just tried to upgrade from 10.1.1 to 10.2.0 on both.  On my desktop I had no problems (much like I've always had before when doing upgrades on either system).  However, after rebooting to finish upgrading on my laptop I get stuck forever at the logon screen.  It seems to boot up normally and I enter my username/password and then it gets stuck with the ring spinning and no desktop.  This will last forever until you hold the power button and power off.  I can boot into safe mode and do a system restore to just before upgrading PGP so that I can get back into my laptop.  I've tried the upgrade a few different times with the same results.  I've tried letting the laptop sit trying to logon over night to see if it would eventually work, and it never does.  While in safe mode I've tried disabling PGP from starting automatically, and it still locks up.  I've checked the event logs and don't see anything relevant.

Anyone have any ideas?

• 2.  RE: Stuck at logon on Windows 7 after upgrading to 10.2.0MP1

Posted Oct 28, 2011 11:32 AM

I'd suggest decrypting in Safe Mode if you are able to do so, then uninstalling, re-installing, and then encrypting.  It might be of help to also reread the Release Notes to see if there is any known conflict within your system.

• 3.  RE: Stuck at logon on Windows 7 after upgrading to 10.2.0MP1

Posted Oct 28, 2011 11:57 AM

The drive is not encrypted.  I just use PGP for email and a few individual files/folders.

When I upgrade I can and do boot into windows as far as the login screen, it is just that once you try to log on to the Windows desktop that it hangs.

I have tried uninstalling 10.1.1, rebooting, and then installing 10.2.0.  It still hangs once 10.2.0 is installed and rebooted.

• 4.  RE: Stuck at logon on Windows 7 after upgrading to 10.2.0MP1

Posted Oct 28, 2011 12:34 PM

Is it safe to assume that you are using an Admin account for the installation?  If so, and if you are able do so in your setting, I'd try temporarily disabling the user account's password protection, to see if this allows the install to complete.  Temporarily disabling User Account Control is another option to consider.

• 5.  RE: Stuck at logon on Windows 7 after upgrading to 10.2.0MP1

Posted Oct 28, 2011 04:44 PM

No assumption is safe.  That is when we miss the tinny detail that is the eureka moment to the problem.  :)  But in this case you are correct; I have full local admin rights.

Disabling UAC was a good idea (wish I'd thought of it first) but didn't change anything. 

I could try pulling the laptop from the domain (to disable user passwords | and yes I've tried both local and AD accounts) but I don't think that will do anything.  It knows whether the username and password are correct or not, so it is getting past that point, it is just getting hung up between that point and getting a desktop.  Something is stuck in a loop.

• 6.  RE: Stuck at logon on Windows 7 after upgrading to 10.2.0MP1

Posted Oct 28, 2011 05:48 PM

Hi Greg,

Go safe mode, start, run, write regedit.

In edit, search "pgpstamp" without quotes.

When found, you will also see a key  called something like "SSO" , double click, change value to 0.

Restart your computer and try access.

If no luck, I suggest reinstalling PGP in safe mode.

Keep us updated

• 7.  RE: Stuck at logon on Windows 7 after upgrading to 10.2.0MP1

Posted Nov 04, 2011 01:28 PM

Changeing the SSO key value to "0" did not help.

How can you install PGP in safe mode?  Windows will not let you run an installer in safe mode.

• 8.  RE: Stuck at logon on Windows 7 after upgrading to 10.2.0MP1

Posted Nov 04, 2011 02:05 PM

At which point you get stucked? windows logon? or before windows, in PGP screen?

Download , burn, and run Recovery CD to decrypt drive .

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH152604&actp=search&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1299267532846

• 9.  RE: Stuck at logon on Windows 7 after upgrading to 10.2.0MP1

Posted Nov 04, 2011 04:01 PM
      |   view attached

As mentioned before the drive is not encrypted.  I only use PGP for email, net share, and some individual files.

I get past: BIOS POST, Windows HAL loads, Windows logon screen, and entering Windows user name and password.  (It does not hag at the point of entering user name and password, because if you enter an incorrect username or password you get prompted to try again.)

I believe the user profile loads, but I'm not positive because before explorer.exe and the desktop loads the system gets stuck in a loop.  You see the post user login screen where it says "Welcome" and a blue ring (new hour glass) will spin forever. (see attached screen shot).  It also doesn't matter which user logs on, so the problem isn't profile specific.

• 10.  RE: Stuck at logon on Windows 7 after upgrading to 10.2.0MP1

Posted Nov 04, 2011 05:36 PM

Lets keep troubleshooting:

Safe mode

registry edit

PGP_INSTALL_WDE = 0

PGP_INSTALL_MEMLOCK2 = 0

PGP_INSTALL_RDD = 0

If didnt work, you will need to open a case to PGP Support

• 11.  RE: Stuck at logon on Windows 7 after upgrading to 10.2.0MP1

Posted Nov 09, 2011 12:01 PM
      |   view attached

I set the following:

PGP_INSTALL_WDE = 0

PGP_INSTALL_MEMLOCK = 0 (There is no PGP_INSTALL_MEMLOCK2)

PGP_INSTALL_RDD = 0

This had no effect and I still hang after login.

I ran PsList from another computer on the network against my laptop.  No process with "PGP" in the name show up.  However "LogonUI" does and persists.  I was able to run PsKill across the network on the PID for LogonUI and the laptop happily continued to logon once the "LogonUI" process was killed.  I got the desktop, and PGP and everything seems to work, and 3 process with "PGP" in the name are now running.

PGPtray
    PGPcbt64
    PGPfsd

However it again locks up at the next reboot and I have to again kill the PID for LogonUI to get access.

I uninstall PGP and everything again works correctly.

Any more ideas?  I attached a list of the running processes while the system is locked up if that helps.

Attachment(s)

txt
    cougar_PsList.txt   4 KB 1 version

• 12.  RE: Stuck at logon on Windows 7 after upgrading to 10.2.0MP1

Posted Nov 09, 2011 01:09 PM

I don´t know then...You can enable pgp desktop debuggin:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH149847&actp=search&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1320861990602

After start up fails, check debug logs in PGP installation folder.

You should take a look at windows event viewer as well.

At this point, you will need to open a new case to symantec support if you can´t fix by yourself.

This type of issues implies a lot of time and troubleshooting.

• 13.  RE: Stuck at logon on Windows 7 after upgrading to 10.2.0MP1

Posted Apr 12, 2012 07:35 AM
      |   view attached

Dear all, we´ve got the same problem over here.

No option for login credentials after installing PGP.

I tried a suggestion from another thread to execute the msi installer with "INSTALL_PGP_WDE=0" option.

Same problem.

Any suggestion? This is really awkward and seems to be a known issue. I hope that Symantec is monitoring these forums, because phoning them and asking about help just refered me to this site.

Thanks alot!

• 14.  RE: Stuck at logon on Windows 7 after upgrading to 10.2.0MP1

Posted Apr 12, 2012 10:52 AM

try changing Display simple authentication field under

Universal server > Consumers / Consumer Policy / policy name / Desktop / Disk Encryption to Display detailed

authentication fields