Video Screencast Help
Give us your opinion and win with Symantec! Please help us by taking this survey to tell us about your experience with Symantec Connect, so that we can continue to grow and improve.  Take the survey.

support for Hyper-V on Server 2012 R2

Created: 20 Dec 2013 • Updated: 07 Jan 2014 | 2 comments
florin.s's picture
This issue has been solved. See solution.

hello,

i'm having some issues creating a policy to backup Hyper-V 2012 R2.

i get this error: Error validating Hyper-V machine name. Server failed to list VM's (-1)

could not find any info on the support page related to Hyper-V 2012 R2... does someone know if it's supported or not with v.7.5.0.6?

thanks.

Operating Systems:

Comments 2 CommentsJump to latest comment

RamNagalla's picture

Hello,

it is supported, see the below statement

Support for Hyper-V on Windows 2012
NetBackup 7.5.0.6 adds support for Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2012. NetBackup
7.5.0.6 and later releases support Windows 8 as a guest OS.
Note the following limitations on NetBackup support for Windows 2012 Hyper-V:
■ Block-level incremental backup is not supported.
■ File-level recovery from a Hyper-V backup is not supported in any of the following
cases:
■ The files inside a VM reside in a Resilient File System (ReFS) volume.
■ The files inside a VM reside in an NTFS deduplicated volume.
■ The VM is composed of VHDX file(s).
File-level recovery continues to be supported when the files inside the VM reside
in an NTFS volume and the VM is composed of VHD files(s).
■ Backup of virtual machines within Cluster Shared Volumes (CSV) is supported.
In Hyper-V Server 2008 R2, CSV has a limitation that requires serialized backups.
In Hyper-V Server 2012, CSV supports concurrent backups without that limitation.
Consequently, the CSV timeout setting in the NetBackup Hyper-V policy is only
used in Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 deployments.

we might need to look into the error
CRZ's picture

Whoops, didn't see this one.  As I said in the other thread, per our Statement of Support document, we haven't included R2 in our supported versions yet for EITHER 7.5.0.x or 7.6.0.x:

DOCUMENTATION: Support for NetBackup 7.x in virtual environments (updated December 17, 2013).
 http://symantec.com/docs/TECH127089

Please note that 2012 and 2012 R2 ARE treated differently (just as 2008 and 2008 R2 are) - you can see that we list them separately in the O/S Compatibility Matrix as well, with a lot of boxes not yet filled in for 2012 R2:

NetBackup 7.x Operating System Compatibility List
 http://symantec.com/docs/TECH76648

Sorry for the bad news.  (Keep in mind I'm not saying it WON'T work...it may be possible, but I'm just saying it isn't supported as I type this.)

bit.ly/76LBN | APPLBN | 761LBN

SOLUTION