Ghost Solution Suite

View Only

Surecom EP 428x PCMCIA Card - Error 33

• 1.  Surecom EP 428x PCMCIA Card - Error 33

Posted Jan 23, 2010 04:29 AM
    I have a Compaq Laptop Presario 1200 which does not have an onboard Ethernet port and came with a Surecom EP-428x PCMCIA card for LAN connectivity.  This machine ran fine for years with Windows software until it was killed off by the bloatware so it go another lease of life running Linux.  Having upgraded the memory to max out at 400 MB it runs well under Linux and a wireless PCMCIA card runs stablily at 108 MB.  The problem is I cannot use my Ghost 11 solution suite to image this device as all the boot disks I have created will not recognise the Surecom NIC.  I got through a lot of disks.

Here is what I have tried to date.

I have made a PC and MS DOS Ghost disk using the Ghost "Make Network Boot Disk" utility and added the PCMCIA enabler files RTPCI.EXE and RTBIOS.COM and used the latest Surecom EP 428x NDIS2 driver making a new Ghost boot disk template for the Surecom.  My initial problem was that I was not exactly sure how to call the cardbus enabler files but looking at so many Config.sys and Autoexec.bat files on your site gave me some indication.

When I boot with the boot disk I seem to get very close as it recognises the NIC reporting “Ethernet Devices Detected but immediately after I get the message Surecom EP 428x card not found, serious internal error and later failing with the notorious Ghose error 33.  It suggests trying a different IRQ switch so I have added to the RTPCI.EXE /MD000 I11 and various other combinations with no joy.

As this device works under DOS it should be supported by Ghost 11 however i cannot find anything on the Ghost site to help me get this working.  In addition I canot get USB drives attached to the PC to be recognised by DOS.

Has nayone got this common device to work with Ghost?