File Share Encryption

View Only
  • 1.  Surface Pro 2 broken after Microsoft Firmware update 10-Mar-2015

Posted Mar 11, 2015 11:35 AM

Surface Pro 2 128GB Windows 8.1 64bit

Stand alone PGP full disk encryption. Ver 10.3.1 build 13100

Surface boot TMP and Secure-boot-control disabled.

After the Microsoft firmware update of 10-Mar-2015, the Surface will power up to the PGP logging screen but the touch type keyboard stopped working. Even tried starting with the volume-down and power-up button pressing same time. Nothing on the keyboard works.

External USB full size keyboard works, entered my pass phrase and login screen responded, but after that blank screen forever.

I think Firmware update has damaged the PGP some how. Before firmware update everything worked.

So would this problem be with the Firmware update or something else ?

Thanks

• 2.  RE: Surface Pro 2 broken after Microsoft Firmware update 10-Mar-2015

Posted Mar 17, 2015 11:40 AM

If you're able to log in to PGP, then PGP is not the issue. Did your Surface Pro 2 come with a USB drive to reload the OS? I ask because you may be able to repair your Win8 installation. Maybe your Win8 is corrupt?

• 3.  RE: Surface Pro 2 broken after Microsoft Firmware update 10-Mar-2015

Posted Mar 17, 2015 12:32 PM

The touch  type keyboard does not work with PGP login screen. I reset windows 8.1 with recovery USB, installed all the updates, installed PGP Ver 10.3.2 MP7  and encrypted again. Same problem again on startup.

Uncrypted Windows 8.1 works, including touch type keyboard even on startup. Before windows update PGP was ok.  Anyway I have given up using PGP and will use bit locker for now.

• 4.  RE: Surface Pro 2 broken after Microsoft Firmware update 10-Mar-2015

Posted Mar 17, 2015 01:27 PM

I haven't seen any other issues reported after the firmware update, but I could see where it could cause some issues.  I know a lot of coding had to be done around the Surface Pro hardware, so firmware changes could cause it to interact differently.  Specifically, the original issue where the attached keyboard would not work was something we had to code around to avoid having to use the volume button just to get it to work.

As I said, though, I haven't seen any other reported issues hit our queue, so I am not sure if it is firmware related or not.  The update may just have a low adoption rate in corporate structures, so we don't see it.

---EDIT---
    According to Microsoft, the firmware update in March was Surface Pro 3 only, so it should not have been installed for the Surface Pro 2.  Check here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us/support/install-update-activate/pro-2-update-history
    http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us/support/install-update-activate/pro-3-update-history

It is only listed for the Surface Pro 3.

• 5.  RE: Surface Pro 2 broken after Microsoft Firmware update 10-Mar-2015

Posted Mar 17, 2015 04:12 PM

I had not updated surface since Jan-2015 until last week, so the firmware update was for Jan-2015 for Surfaxe Pro 2. The only thing was before the update everything was working ok.

I have just done this test. Did a clean reset of windows 8.1 using the recovery USB again. This time I did not do any windows update. Installed PGP 10.3.2 MP7, encrypted and restarted and same problem. So looks like something in Firrware is preventing the touch keyboard from working with PGP login screen, even tried volume down and power button pressed configuration. 

I also removed the touch type keyboard, inserted full size USB keyboard and this time I coukd type. My password was accepted by the PGP login screen, but afterwards just stuck on  blank screen forever.

• 6.  RE: Surface Pro 2 broken after Microsoft Firmware update 10-Mar-2015

Posted Apr 02, 2015 03:43 PM

The same happens to me - its like the keyboard is not recognized / active when starting my surface to enter the PGP  password ( all though ctrl alt del works fine )