Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  SVA versions between 12.1.3 and the new 12.1.4?

Posted Oct 31, 2013 10:10 AM

Security Virtual Appliance - shared Insight cache, the SVA furnished for VMWare environments.  We installed the SVA supplied with 12.1.3
    There is of course SVA with SEP 12.1.4 - there are the files included to build/configure the SVA.
    Are there changes? What is the version of the SVA we installed compared to the SVA that WOULD be installed from 12.1.4?

Is there a need to kill the current SVA devices and build anew?

I ask because:
    There is no version numbering supplied in the documentation nor the file list
    AND
    SVA as supplied with 12.1.3 doesn't work with VMWare's vShield and ESCi 51. as I just found out today.
    Is this due to the SEP CLIENT, or is it due to the SEPM or is it due to the SVA itself?

In other words if we installed 2 SVAs (one under each VM host) from 12.1.3, (which never did work) do we need to kill those, start over and install the versions from 12.1.4 in order to finally get working SVAs?

OR, is it the same exact thing - and the fix is in SEP itself???

Thanks - we REALLY need to know this and now if possible - we're pusing VDI out pretty quickly and need to get this going and check the concept, etc.

We're getting VMWare involved to try to help make your product work since we've not getting help otherwise - and knowing if these are two different SVA builds or versions would be a huge help.

(no offense, but no links to the release notes please-  I've already scoured those 3 times and there is no reference to SVA at all as far as versions, etc. Instead please post the text that exaplains it would be a big help with how I have to work. I appreciate all offers of help and the time it takes to post, but when I ask I've already done the basic stuff as I'm the type that perfers to "figure things out" and ask for help only when I've spent countless days and am exhausted.  ;-)  in other words, call me stubborn and unwilling to give up on a problem! HA)

• 2.  RE: SVA versions between 12.1.3 and the new 12.1.4?

Posted Oct 31, 2013 10:54 AM

Ok, well I think I just figured it out - even though the new file host (your contracted service, flexera) doesn't give FILE DATES and times, I did some searching and found a free app that will calculate the hash and compared.

Apparently there is no change what-so-ever in the old SVA file and the one there now, nothing has changed so I'm not sure what was modified where to fulfill the comment in the release notes that 12.1.4 is going to work with VMWare now, but since your writers said it, I hope it's true.

The hash of the file I downloaded waay back with 12.1.2 is the exact same hash as the file there now.

I did notice, however, that the JAVA in the virtualization folder of the download IS different!

The hash from months ago - and the hash from the file up there now -
    808ed6084feb00f52ea1b3c430fea0ca
    808ed6084feb00f52ea1b3c430fea0ca

So if you already have the SVA OVL file and already have an SVA in place, no need to do it again unless you messed up the first time and then deleted your source files!  ;-)