Workspace Streaming

View Only
  • 1.  SWS - OFFICE 2007

Posted Jan 31, 2011 06:33 PM

I am running the most current version of the SWS using SP6. I am having a little bit of a problem, I have OFFICE 2007 provisioned, with precached icons only and also file association. None of my documents are associated to OFFICE Word etc until after I launch word program for the very first time and the package gets streamed out to me. Is this normal for office, the Adobe Reader PDF doesn't have an issue with this at all. If I am doing something wrong, what part am I missing, do I need to tweak the packages registry? I did the layerexcludefinder against the program already it had found 138 items.

Any Help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

• 2.  RE: SWS - OFFICE 2007

Posted Jan 31, 2011 08:11 PM

In what version of Virtual Composer was the layer created?  Earlier versions of Virtual Composer and SVSAdmin will not include the file association information needed by the SWS client for the file associations feature.  Also, make sure that you uploaded the XPF to a SP6 server.  If you uploaded the package to an SP4 server and then upgraded the server to SP6, the package will not have the necessary information unless it is re-uploaded to the server.

Verify that the package is provisioned for the user for both Icons and File Associations.  If it is Icons only, then file associations won't be pushed to the client.

If you are testing with a .doc file, be aware that the system usually already has an association to .doc (to Wordpad) and by default SWS will not overwrite an existing file extension association.  If you have other software installed capable of consuming .doc, .xls, .ppt, etc. on the client machine, those would also prevent SWS's pre-population of file associations for Office's document file extensions.

You can force the SWS client to override any local file extensions with streaming pre-pop ones by adding "FA_OVERRIDE_ALL=true" to the SWS client configuration file (AppStreamCfg.txt) and restarting the streaming agent service or reloading the configuration (AppMgrCmd -rc) before getting the provision information from the server.

There is a way that the extensions can be overridden on an individual basis within the package, but it involves manually editing the package files.

• 3.  RE: SWS - OFFICE 2007

Posted Feb 01, 2011 11:14 AM

In what version of Virtual Composer was the layer created?  Earlier versions of Virtual Composer and SVSAdmin will not include the file association information needed by the SWS client for the file associations feature.  Also, make sure that you uploaded the XPF to a SP6 server.  If you uploaded the package to an SP4 server and then upgraded the server to SP6, the package will not have the necessary information unless it is re-uploaded to the server.

> We are running the wise coposer 6.1 SP6

Verify that the package is provisioned for the user for both Icons and File Associations.  If it is Icons only, then file associations won't be pushed to the client.

> File association is included.

If you are testing with a .doc file, be aware that the system usually already has an association to .doc (to Wordpad) and by default SWS will not overwrite an existing file extension association.  If you have other software installed capable of consuming .doc, .xls, .ppt, etc. on the client machine, those would also prevent SWS's pre-population of file associations for Office's document file extensions.

> you are probably right, Word is still associated to the program, I do have cached icons and file association checked..

You can force the SWS client to override any local file extensions with streaming pre-pop ones by adding "FA_OVERRIDE_ALL=true" to the SWS client configuration file (AppStreamCfg.txt) and restarting the streaming agent service or reloading the configuration (AppMgrCmd -rc) before getting the provision information from the server.

> There is a way that the chages made to the AppStreamCfg.txt be pushed out to the masses in the Workspace streaming server?

Thanks

• 4.  RE: SWS - OFFICE 2007

Posted Feb 01, 2011 03:55 PM

> you are probably right, Word is still associated to the program, I do have cached icons and file association checked..

Even when pre-pop file associations override an existing extension, it will not replace the default action if one is present, so you may need to right click on the document and select "Open with Streamed Application".

> There is a way that the chages made to the AppStreamCfg.txt be pushed out to the masses in the Workspace streaming server?

You can change the AppStreamCfg.txt on the Portal so when new clients install from the portal they will get the copy of the AppStreamCfg.txt on the Portal.  Aside from pushing out an empty package that contains a script to modify or download an SWS client configuration file and direct the SWS client to reload its configuration, no there isn't a way within the Console or client to direct the client to go update its configuration from some location.