Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

SWV 6.1 SP4 (6.2.1562) "Installation ended prematurely because of an error" - Win7 32-bit

Created: 12 Sep 2010 | 2 comments

Hi,

I'm using the latest version of the SWV installation file I could find, which is version 6.2.1562.  My OS is Win7 32-bit.  I've disabled all antivirus software.

When I run the installation with admin privileges (from a command prompt or right-click EXE/run as administrator), it looks like it's about to finish installation... and then I get a dialog with the plain error "Installation ended prematurely because of an error" . 

I couldn't find any installation-specific logs except for the MSI log in the TEMP directory.  In it is the error:

Action 0:08:08: fslxDoInstallProductSecurity.
MSI (s) (98:3C) [00:08:08:504]: Executing op: CustomActionSchedule(Action=fslxDoInstallProductSecurity,ActionType=3073,Source=BinaryData,Target=fslxDoInstallProductSecurity,CustomActionData=71)
MSI (s) (98:50) [00:08:08:536]: Invoking remote custom action. DLL: C:\Windows\Installer\MSI3736.tmp, Entrypoint: fslxDoInstallProductSecurity
1: FSL2InstallProduct error 1050
CustomAction fslxDoInstallProductSecurity returned actual error code 1603 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)
Action ended 0:08:08: InstallFinalize. Return value 3.

Any ideas?  I'd be happy to attach the full MSI log file if that helps

Thanks!

Comments 2 CommentsJump to latest comment

Pascal KOTTE's picture

I have a similar issue to upgrade XP x86 from SVS 2.1 to SWV 6.3.2059 !

But: previous install SVS 2.1 there...

~Pascal @ Kotte.net~ Do you speak French? Et utilisez Altiris: venez nous rejoindre sur le GUASF

Jordan's picture

yes please attach the MSI log.

If a forum post solves your problem please flag is as the solution