Video Screencast Help
Scheduled Maintenance: Symantec Connect is scheduled to be down Saturday, April 19 from 10am to 2pm Pacific Standard Time (GMT: 5pm to 9pm) for server migration and upgrades.
Please accept our apologies in advance for any inconvenience this might cause.

SWV 6.1.5126 vs. Outlook 2007

Created: 26 Apr 2010 • Updated: 29 Jul 2010 | 41 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Hi everyone
I recently installed the latest SWV 6.1.5126 on a very few (production) workstations for testing purposes and now got a strange Outlook (2007) error.
'Unable to open default mail folders'.
I then need to recreate the Profile in Control Panel\Mail and then Outlook works fine again. However, on one workstation (my own) the error just happened again after a few hours.

Anyone else encountering this? We're on German WinXP SP3 with Microsoft Outlook 2007 SP2.

If someone can shed some light on this that'd be great.

Thanks
Roland

Comments 41 CommentsJump to latest comment

Jason Gallas's picture

We are experiencing similar issues in our environment on systems that have SWV installed.  In fact, it happened on my own system this morning.  I had to re-create the profile to get it to work.  Outlook and Office 2007 are installed in the base.

Jordan's picture

Is this for limited users or admins?

If a forum post solves your problem please flag is as the solution

rpfenninger's picture

It didn't happen yet with limited users, only admins here as well.

Forgot to mention that Outlook is installed here to the base, not virtual too.

Good to hear, that we aren't the only ones.

rpfenninger's picture

It seems that the user account permissions are irrelevant. Right now we've had the first incident on a workstation where the user is only PowerUser.

rpfenninger's picture

We've found out that the following is the registry key in question:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsystem\Profiles\Default Outlook Profile\9207f3e0a3b11019908b08002b2a56c2]
"01023d00"=
This key leads to the appropriate Outlook archive file. If we backup this key after restoring Outlook manually, we're able to repair Outlook after another 'swv crash' by just importing this reg key.
We now try to monitor what and when changes are made to this key.

Jason Gallas's picture

These events are in the logs and may coincide with the issue at hand:

Windows detected your registry file is still in use by other applications or services. The file will be unloaded now. The applications or services that hold your registry file may not function properly afterwards. 

DETAIL -
 2 user registry handles leaked from \Registry\User\S-1-5-21-2096918946-1828025808-1361462980-15303_Classes:
Process 2040 (\Device\HarddiskVolume1\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection\Rtvscan.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-2096918946-1828025808-1361462980-15303_CLASSES
Process 848 (\Device\HarddiskVolume1\Windows\System32\svchost.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-2096918946-1828025808-1361462980-15303_CLASSES

Jason Gallas's picture

Those users that had previous versions of SWV are not having the issue.  I was not having this issue until I upgraded to the latest version.

Jordan's picture

has anyone seen this on a machine that was not upgraded (meaning a clean install of 5126)?

Jason Gallas's picture

My machine was upgraded but the other 8 we deployed were clean installs of 5126.

Jordan's picture

I have not been able to reproduce this issue.  I'm on WinXP and upgraded from 6.1.5122->6.1.5126 with SEP 11 installed.  Outlook is virtualized so I'm planning on testing that in the base as well.

I'd suggest contacting support because we may need to look at your images.

Jason Gallas's picture

I have a manual install of Windows 7 on my personal system with Office 2007 installed in the base.  No image here :( 

My colleague already called support and their suggestion was to rename the SWV service :-)  But that would require re-creating the virtual layers or something awful like that.

Jordan's picture

We don't have a service so maybe they meant the driver which would in effect disable SWV.

Let me get some more info from you so I can properly test outlook in the base.

1) Version of SEP?
2) are there any layer's active when this happens or does it happen just when SWV is installed with no layers?
3) if #2 is layers are active does this happen with empty layers?  If not then what's in your other layers?
4) I assume office is fully patched including the SP?

Jason Gallas's picture

It appears that the SEP exclusions in the registy have fixed the issue for me and one other person.  I have no clue how SEP exclusions in the registry could fix Outlook profile corruption issues but it did.  It appears that previous versions of SWV did not necessarily require SEP exclusions but the new version somehow does (at least with regards to Outlook).  I will follow up in a couple days to determine if we are out of the woods.

SEP version 11.0.5002.333
Layers are active
Office is fully patched (in the base of course).

rpfenninger's picture

Jordan,

according to your questions:
1) We use several versions of SEP (German) 11.0.4202.75 (MR4 MP2) and 11.0.5002.333 (RU5), unfortunately German RU6a isn't out yet
2) On our clients there are always some Layers active (we've got at least ten in the image)
3) need to test...
4) We use Office XP SP3 (virtual) together with Outlook 2007 SP2 (base)

We have those crashes despite having excluded the necessary processes in the ProgramIgnoreList from the first day on...

Jason Gallas's picture

I am still getting errors.  Oddly, when I worked from home yesterday and logged in for the first time I had no errors.  However, when I returned to the office this morning I got the error once more.

Jason Gallas's picture

The combination of rolling back and adding the SEP exclusions fixed my Outlook profile corruption issue.

Jordan's picture

I'm still looking into this issue, I'll let everyone know when I have more info.

rpfenninger's picture

Jordan, your work is really appreciated here. If we can help you by providing more info, please let us know.

Jordan's picture

The only thing I think I need to know now is do you see this only when launching outlook or will the error be thrown while outlook is allready running?

rpfenninger's picture

Jordan, since I've got my Outlook open all day, I can confirm that it even happens when Outlook is already running. While opening mails is still possible, the error is thrown up when trying to open a different users calendar for example.

Michael Vinter's picture

We're experiencing the same problems running v6.1.5126 of SWV and SEP v11.0.6000.550.

We make a clean syspreped installation with Swedish XP SP3 and Outlook 2003 SP3. Im running outlook anything from 1 hour to a couple of days before the problem starts . We also have reports of 3-4 reinstallations of the Outlook profiles on the same users.

One workaround is to either delete the profile and recreate it - or running a "repair" on Outlook 2003. But the problem always comes back randomly.

We had other issues with the older SWV agent - so reverting back to that version is not an option. What is the status of the problem right now?!

rpfenninger's picture

Michael, the easiest fix to the problem is by importing just the following regkey:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsystem\Profiles\Default Outlook Profile\9207f3e0a3b11019908b08002b2a56c2]
"01023d00"=xxxxx
However, you need to export the key in question once on every running machine since the xxxxx part is customized. I've placed such a reg file on every affected users desktop so the user is able to fix it himself by closing Outlook, double-clicking the reg file and opening Outlook. Pretty easy, though annoying.
Hope this helps ease the pain.

Jordan's picture

So I can hit this with 5126.

I'm testing this with the most current internal build and then pass it off to dev.

Thanks everyone for doing a bunch of the leg work, having the keys to look at saved me some time.

LeeT's picture

I'm also glad it's not me. We've been having this issue for about 2-3 weeks now; ever since we upgrade to 61.15126.

Outlook 2003 in the base and running WinXp.
It happens randomly and the issue appears in a few ways:
1. trying to access a shared calendar and you get a message stating you have to be online,
2. opening Outlook and getting a message that "unable to open your defaults e-mail folders..."
Have to delete all local OST's (we use cache mode) and re-create profile.

I upgrade initially, but had to uninstall and reinstall since my desktop kept auto-arranging even with the setting unchecked.

Jordan's picture

If people are having this issue the recomended workaround is to uninstall 6.1.5126 and revert to 6.1.5114

Jason Gallas's picture

I have this installed on my NS 6 box.  Is the SWV 6.1.5114 integrated solution still available for download?  I don't think I ever downloaded that version before.   I would like to roll that one back as well.

dpowell2's picture

Wish i'd seen this earlier just upgraded to 6.1.5126 and have seen this on several machines, all running XP SP3 and Outlook 2003.

I'm also using Workspace Streaming, so when will a fix be out?

Jordan's picture

SWV 6.1 SP4 (formally 6.2) will have a fix for this issue.  I can't give an exact release date but I'll say sooner then later.

rpfenninger's picture

Hi Jordan

Are there any news on the release available yet?

Thanks

yamine's picture

Are you sure it's fixed?
Indeed there is no documentation on it on the release notes of the SP4.

Jordan's picture

Yes it is fixed I tested it several times myself and we had another person internally who was seeing this issue on a personal machine that saw his issue resolved.

Why this isn't in the release notes is because it didn't have a KB item or have been listed in our Known Issues list from a previous release, those are the requirements to get into the notes as a fixed issue.

yamine's picture

Where can we read what issues  which are fixed in the SP4,

Regards,

Jordan's picture

They should be in the release notes.

SP4 was more to add the XPF functionality then it was for major bugfixes.

The one's I know if that people will be interested in are this bug, Fonts finally working and support for reparse\junction points during capture.

Jordan's picture

Sorry, Thought I posted something here.

6.1 SP4 has been out for a week now but it's currently only available via sales for paid customers.

Should have the regular download available in a week or two.

SOLUTION
Jason Gallas's picture

Does the new version also update the ProgramIgnoreList to include Symantec Endpoint Protection?

Jordan's picture

No. Though you shouldn't have to do that to see this issue resolved.

rpfenninger's picture

Thank you Jordan for your great support! We've downloaded the latest release 6.2.1562 (6.1 SP4) from http://go.symantec.com/sevdownloads and it really resolved the issue.

Jordan's picture

Good to hear.