Endpoint Protection Small Business Edition

View Only
  • 1.  Symantec 12.1 RU1 Duplicate Hardware ID's

Posted Jan 04, 2012 10:02 AM

So I'm working on upgrading to Symantec 12.1 but during the image process the image keeps coming out with a duplicate hardware ID even after it is removed in the registry. Does the shephwid.xml file also need to be remove with the hardware ID in order for it to generate a new one? With the new 12.1 upgrade did they at all make it any easier for issues such as these to be able to handle them from the Management Console??

• 2.  RE: Symantec 12.1 RU1 Duplicate Hardware ID's

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 04, 2012 10:56 AM

add it as an idea. However the care needs to be taken as there is KB article available.

Check this link. There is tool available ( refer the link below)

How to repair duplicate IDs on cloned Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1 clients

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH163349

• 3.  RE: Symantec 12.1 RU1 Duplicate Hardware ID's

Posted Jan 04, 2012 11:58 AM

My biggest question with that though is that it says to put all the affected clients into a group but if there are duplicate ID's and the clients keeps re-appearing and disappearing how can you get them all in to the group?

• 4.  RE: Symantec 12.1 RU1 Duplicate Hardware ID's

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 05, 2012 12:15 AM

when you create a image and have SEP it will be registering to the group ( the package has).

• 5.  RE: Symantec 12.1 RU1 Duplicate Hardware ID's

Posted Jan 05, 2012 03:24 PM

That I know. But let's say I create this image and forget to remove the hardware ID and deploy it to 3 clients for example, I know have 3 duplicate hardware ID's. According to that symantec tool though, it says to put the affected clients, in this case those 3, into a group and deploy the tool on the group. But how can you get them all in to 1 group if only 1 can show up in the console at a time due to the duplicate hardware ID's?

• 6.  RE: Symantec 12.1 RU1 Duplicate Hardware ID's

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 05, 2012 08:28 PM

Do you have the smc password set? if not jump to point no 4).

• 7.  RE: Symantec 12.1 RU1 Duplicate Hardware ID's

Posted Jan 10, 2012 09:45 AM

So I followed the documentation on correcting the duplicate ID's, deployed the setup.exe to the clients through the Management Console and still none have showed up. Any thoughts on this?

• 8.  RE: Symantec 12.1 RU1 Duplicate Hardware ID's

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 10, 2012 11:44 AM

can you enable the sylink log on the client that is not reporting and post it here?

• 9.  RE: Symantec 12.1 RU1 Duplicate Hardware ID's

Posted Jan 10, 2012 12:16 PM

What's the file name for it? You're not referring to the sylink.xml are you?