Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
  • 1.  Symantec 2.5 build 2269 deploying Windows 7 images

Posted Oct 19, 2010 03:05 PM

I am starting to attemp to deploy Windows 7 (32-bit) with Ghost and have found several references to the system partition that Windows 7 installs by default.  One reference mentioned I needed to deploy the system partition first then the OS partition second.  Can this be done in a single Ghost session?  I have found that I can install Windows 7 with a single partition.  Is there any downside to this?

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/deploying-windows-7-using-ghost-solutions-25

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/deploying-windows-7-using-ghost-solutions-25

• 2.  RE: Symantec 2.5 build 2269 deploying Windows 7 images

Posted Oct 21, 2010 03:11 AM

Hi Erich,

You need to take disk image to include both system and OS partitions in the same image. You can use the image to deploy Windows 7 in a single ghost session. You may need to run deploy anywhere on the system if the hardware is different.

About the installation of Windows 7 with a single partition (i.e. without system partition)..

Yes! you can install it but for that you need to have the partitions already created on the disk. It is not a recommended installation.

Thanks,

Govardhan

• 3.  RE: Symantec 2.5 build 2269 deploying Windows 7 images

Posted Oct 21, 2010 03:13 AM

You can restore both partitions (System partition and OS Partition) in single ghost session.

Windows 7 can be install on single partition. In this case Boot manager and OS are in same partition. There might not be downside for this. Ghost can image and restore windows 7 install on single partition.

Thanks

• 4.  RE: Symantec 2.5 build 2269 deploying Windows 7 images

Posted Oct 21, 2010 03:20 AM

Hi,

Your query - Can this be done in a single Ghost session?

Yes, certainly you can do it by taking disk image (I have mentioned earlier in my above thread you listed). Select appropriate disk and do not select partition option under create image task. 

If you install Windows 7 on a hard disk which already have partitions created on it then Windows installation wont see recovery partition since it is part of (included) os partition. If you install Windows 7 on newly arrived hard disk which doesnt have partitions on it then  by default it creates recovery partition and then os partition.