Messaging Gateway

View Only
  • 1.  Symantec Antispam CPU-hog Windows 2003

Posted Oct 21, 2008 10:19 AM

I recently upgraded a customers' installation of Symantec Antivirus with Groupware Protection to Symantec Endpoint Protection (including Symantec Antispam).

After the upgrade the customer complains about slow network-response from the server. I investigated this problem and I came across two process conduit.exe and SMSUtilityService.exe.

Both process regurly consume above 50 percent of CPU, and for a considerable time. My customer is not happy with the slowdown of his network.

What's the problem with version 6 of Symantec Antispam? Why does Symantec accept that fact that version 6 is broken in several ways?

My solution to this problem was to disable the SPAM-function of MailSecurity and install GFI MailEssentials.

Please Symantec fix this problem, because it's going to hurt your success with Symantec MailSecurity.

• 2.  RE: Symantec Antispam CPU-hog Windows 2003

Posted Oct 07, 2009 02:14 PM
    Agreed.  What the heck?  Any answers from Symantec?

• 3.  RE: Symantec Antispam CPU-hog Windows 2003

Posted Oct 07, 2009 02:30 PM
    What exactly did you install? And what versions? Also, what are the resources available on your server? It doesn't sound correct that the products in tandem would be causing that much of an issue with CPU load.

When you saw this, did you ever open a support ticket to see if there was a problem?

Let me know,
    Thanks!