Endpoint Protection

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Symantec Antivirus 9.0.0.338 virus definition could not update

• 1.  Symantec Antivirus 9.0.0.338 virus definition could not update

Posted Nov 26, 2012 12:48 AM

Recently, my client windows 98 pc which installed managed symantec antivirus 9.0.0.338, the virus definition stop receive update.

Situation:

-- The Symantec System Center version is 10.1.9.9000

-- The Parent Server version is 10.1.9.9000 

-- The Symantec Antivirus 9.0.0.338 Client mapped by the parent server

Tried method:

1. Tick the "allow this server to manage 9.x and earlier clients....." option on symantec system console(no solve problem)

2. Click the "LIVEUPDATE" button on client pc and run the whole downloading with installing process successfull,but the virus definition still no update(no solve problem)

3. Install an unmanage symantec antivirus 9.0 on win98 pc also cannot update the virus definition.(no solve problem)

Can anybody help me?

• 2.  RE: Symantec Antivirus 9.0.0.338 virus definition could not update

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 26, 2012 12:54 AM

SAV is EOL.

however you can manually download the definition file from Symantec and try updating the client machine.

• 3.  RE: Symantec Antivirus 9.0.0.338 virus definition could not update

Posted Nov 26, 2012 01:00 AM

HI,

SAV 9 is EOL

Check this thread

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/sav-corporate-9-end-life

You can manually update virus defination

http://www.symantec.com/security_response/definitions/download/detail.jsp?gid=savce

• 4.  RE: Symantec Antivirus 9.0.0.338 virus definition could not update

Posted Nov 26, 2012 01:10 AM

Hello, Pete_4u2002. Thank for your reply.

Your mean is download the Intelligent Updater file manually and update the client machine?

If yes, Intelligent Updater is totally no respone in my client machine.

• 5.  RE: Symantec Antivirus 9.0.0.338 virus definition could not update

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 26, 2012 01:14 AM

• 6.  RE: Symantec Antivirus 9.0.0.338 virus definition could not update

Posted Nov 26, 2012 01:39 AM

"vd3af206.xdb" can copy to Windows 98 client machine directly?

• 7.  RE: Symantec Antivirus 9.0.0.338 virus definition could not update

Posted Nov 26, 2012 03:49 AM

After apply "vd3af206.xdb" to C:\Program Files\Symantec Antivirus\, still no update. 

• 8.  RE: Symantec Antivirus 9.0.0.338 virus definition could not update

Posted Nov 26, 2012 03:53 AM

To copy an .xdb file to a Symantec AntiVirus server

• Copy the .xdb file to the Symantec AntiVirus program folder.
      • For NetWare servers, the default location is SYS:SAV.
      • For antivirus servers on Windows computers, the default is C:\Program Files\SAV\ for Symantec AntiVirus 8.x, or C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus for Symantec AntiVirus 9.x.

The location of the folder can vary if you upgraded from a previous version.
    For help with this, see the "To find the Symantec AntiVirus program folder" section in the Technical Information section of this document.

To copy an .xdb file to a Symantec AntiVirus client

• Copy the .xdb file to the correct folder, depending on the program version:
      • For clients that run Windows 2003/XP/2000, the default folder is one of the following:
        • C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Norton AntiVirus Corporate Edition\7.5\
        • C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition\7.5\

The Application Data folder may be hidden. To show hidden and system folders, read the document How to make Windows show all files.

• For clients that run Windows 98/Me, the following is the default folder:
        C:\Program Files\Symantec_Client_Security\Symantec AntiVirus\ or C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\
      • For clients that run Windows NT 4.0, the following is the default folder:
        C:\WinNT\Profiles\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Norton AntiVirus Corporate Edition\7.5\

Check this thread

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/virus-definition-files-not-updating-symantec-system-center-v6

• 9.  RE: Symantec Antivirus 9.0.0.338 virus definition could not update

Posted Nov 26, 2012 04:18 AM

After install the xbd file and restart my client machine. The CPU has run something, but SAV still no change the definition date at the endsad.

• 10.  RE: Symantec Antivirus 9.0.0.338 virus definition could not update

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 26, 2012 04:58 AM

does the xdb file vanishes from that folder?

• 11.  RE: Symantec Antivirus 9.0.0.338 virus definition could not update

Posted Nov 26, 2012 07:52 PM

xdb file still in that folder

• 12.  RE: Symantec Antivirus 9.0.0.338 virus definition could not update

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 26, 2012 08:16 PM

if you still want to be running SAV 9, i can suggest reinstall the client.

ideally xdb folder should be processed and this file should disappear.

• 13.  RE: Symantec Antivirus 9.0.0.338 virus definition could not update

Posted Nov 27, 2012 01:34 PM

Modern virus definition sets are far too much for SAV 9.0 to handle (the XDB is about 222MB, which is not actually listed as supporting SAV 9.0):

Supports the following versions of Symantec antivirus software:

• Symantec AntiVirus 10.0 Corporate Edition Server
    • Symantec AntiVirus 10.1 Corporate Edition Server
    • Symantec AntiVirus 10.2 Corporate Edition Server

I can understand wanting to help your client, but to be honest, they have been very fortunate that this has worked as long as it has in a totally unsupported state. I can't remember exactly when support for SAV 9.0 definitions ended, but as best as I can determine, the product version they have (9.0, no MRs) was end-of-lifed in 2005.

In short, I'm not sure there is a fix for this particular issue, so you may need to prepare them for that eventuality. sad

sandra