Video Screencast Help

Symantec antivirus corporate edition v10.2.4.4000 on Windows 7

Created: 14 Sep 2010 | 2 comments

Ok first off I know this isn't the forum for antivirus corp edidtion.. However I don't believe that forum exists on symantec's site any longer.. so this is the closest I can find. I'm hoping someone here might have an idea or insight into the cause of my specific problem.

The set up (this background info but its necessary to get to the specific SAV question):

On my Windows 7 machine I have SAV ce v 10.2.4.4000 installed.

On this same machine I have Deep freeze v7 installed. If you aren't familiar with deep freeze its a program that's used to keep a machine at original settings once its rebooted in the frozen state. There is also a feature called a "thawed space" where you create a virtual partition of a folder on a 'frozen' pc and this section of files can be updated and remembered while the rest of the pc is 'frozen'. I have used this said feature on SAV's folder: C:\ProgramData\Symantec\Definitions\VirusDefs

This allows the pc to get its updates when the pc is frozen and they aren't forgotten when the pc is rebooted.

Now I've found with this thawed space is created with SAV's folder the pc will fail every time when I try to run a checkdisk.

I get this error: "Autochk cannot run due to an error caused by a recently installed software package."

However if the thawed space is disabled or set to thaw another group of files or folders then I can successfully run checkdisk when the pc is restarted with no error. Now since it only happens when I set up a thaw space for the SAV folder listed above and thawing different folders other then SAV allows me to run checkdisk, that tells me that somehow even before Windows 7 boots into the OS (when its trying to run checkdisk) that SAV is initiated to some degree and doesn't like the fact that its folder is redirected.

Does anyone know how SAV works during the boot up of Windows 7? When it takes control? Any insight/help into this would be greatly appreciated. I'd really like to be able to get SAV to work with this program.

Thanks for your time,

Ryan

PS- Thinking perhaps a different version of SAV might work I've also tried SAV v10.2.0.276 which had the same problems listed above. As such I put v10.2.4.4000 back on the windows 7 machine.

Comments 2 CommentsJump to latest comment

Vikram Kumar-SAV to SEP's picture

SAV 10.x is not supported on Windows 7. You need to Install SEP 11.x for WIndows 7.

SEP 11.0.5 and above are supported on WIndows 7.

SAV 10.x has reached end of life and no products updates will be released for them

Vikram Kumar

Symantec Consultant

The most helpful part of entire Symantec connect is the Search button..do use it.

Mudit Kumar's picture

Check the below article

Title: 'About Symantec AntiVirus 10.x and Symantec Client Security 3.x on Windows Vista'
Web URL: http://service1.symantec.com/support/ent-security....

For Windowsn 7 you will have to install Symantec Endpoint Protection Versoin RU5

Title: 'System Requirements documentation for Symantec Endpoint Protection and Symantec Network Access Control'
Web URL: http://service1.symantec.com/support/ent-security....

Thanks & Regards,
Mudit Kumar