Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Symantec AntiVirus - Error 1920

Posted May 19, 2008 02:31 PM
    When trying to reinstall Symantec AntiVirus, version 10.1, I am receiving the error message:  "Error 1920.  Service Symantec AntiVirus failed to start.  Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services."

I've found a link on the Symantec Support site, only to click on the link and have it tell me that the page cannot be displayed.  Can someone help me resolve this issue please?

Thank you,

Wyatt L. Thorpe
    573-874-8393

• 2.  RE: Symantec AntiVirus - Error 1920

Posted Oct 13, 2008 04:27 AM

I just went through this while installing 10.2 on my vista machine.  The posts were no help, but here's what worked for me.

When it gives you the error, you should be getting the pop-up box that says "retry" or "cancel".  Leave it alone.  Go into your windows administrator tools and open up the services window.  Manually start the Live Update service.  Go back to the error pup-up and hit "retry".

Hope this helps

• 3.  RE: Symantec AntiVirus - Error 1920

Posted Oct 24, 2008 04:04 PM
    ...Tried what major rocker suggested as I had the same or similar problem with the same error.  When starting the Live Update Service I noticed there were other symantec services so I downloaded Norton Removal Tool (do a search for this at symantec.com) ran it, then installed NCAv with no errors... and now everything is **bleep**en man...