Endpoint Protection

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

SYMANTEC AV 10.1 RED BORDERS ALL AROUND!!!!!!

Migration User

Migration UserJun 29, 2009 02:56 AM

• 1.  SYMANTEC AV 10.1 RED BORDERS ALL AROUND!!!!!!

Posted Jun 22, 2009 01:07 PM
    HAS ANYONE ENCOUNTERED THIS ISSUE? I AM HAVING DIFFICULTY UNDERSTANDING WHERE THESE RED BORDERS AROUND MY WINDOWS AND MY TOOL BAR ARE COMING FROM. I KNOW MY SYMANTEC AV PICKED UP A COUPLE VIRUSES AND WHERE CLEANED AND DELETED. A REBOOT WAS REQUIRED AND WAS COMPLETED BUT I AM STILL SEEING THESE BORDERS. PLEASE ANYONE HOW DO I ELIMINATE THESE I AM RUNNING OUT OF PATIENCE WITH SYMANTEC!!! ALSO ONCE THESE RED BORDERS STARTED APPEARING MY LIVE UPDATE STOPPED UPDATING AUTOMATICALLY ON MY 10.1. ITS ON A WINDOWS 2003****imagebrowser imageimagebrowser imageimagebrowser image

• 2.  RE: SYMANTEC AV 10.1 RED BORDERS ALL AROUND!!!!!!

Posted Jun 22, 2009 02:38 PM
    Are you running any desktop recording software on this system?

• 3.  RE: SYMANTEC AV 10.1 RED BORDERS ALL AROUND!!!!!!

Posted Jun 22, 2009 02:45 PM
    Check task manager to see processes and apps running in the sidelines...

• 4.  RE: SYMANTEC AV 10.1 RED BORDERS ALL AROUND!!!!!!

Posted Jun 22, 2009 02:58 PM
    Thanks for the responses hopefully we can figure this out...

The only programs running currently on my windows server 2003 are MICROSOFT SQL SERVER SERVICE MANAGER, CACHE (Needed for ONTARIO SYSTEMS), WEBAPPS MIDDLEWARE OS: WINDOWS.NET & SYMANTEC ANTIVIRUS.

These have always been running since we set up the server a year ago. I noticed my DefWatch.exe is running but my Live Update has not updated since the 19th which I did manually. It stopped updating lastweek around the 15th.

Jon

• 5.  RE: SYMANTEC AV 10.1 RED BORDERS ALL AROUND!!!!!!

Posted Jun 22, 2009 03:05 PM
    Does the issue go away when you turn off our services? What version of Symantec software are you running?

• 6.  RE: SYMANTEC AV 10.1 RED BORDERS ALL AROUND!!!!!!

Posted Jun 22, 2009 04:22 PM
    Im using Symantec Antivirus 10.1 w/ Groupware Protection. I turned off auto protect and tamper protection and im still getting the red borders. Im not sure im killing all of Symantec processes. How would I turn off ALL of symantec process running?

• 7.  RE: SYMANTEC AV 10.1 RED BORDERS ALL AROUND!!!!!!

Posted Jun 22, 2009 04:39 PM
    To eliminate if this is a problem with video drivers find time and logon to safe mode and check if the problem persists! If not try updating to the latest video drivers! May be some corrupted files could cause the problem, cos U said recently certain viruses were removed!!

• 8.  RE: SYMANTEC AV 10.1 RED BORDERS ALL AROUND!!!!!!

Posted Jun 22, 2009 07:36 PM
    please try going first to safe mode..
    do you still have the red boxes while in safe mode?
    thanks...

• 9.  RE: SYMANTEC AV 10.1 RED BORDERS ALL AROUND!!!!!!

Posted Jun 23, 2009 09:43 AM
    Yes i did remove these viruses but im concerned about them still being active can anyone confirm that they have been removed??? All the computers that got infected had system restore turned off, scanned in safe mode and came up clean. Only the one that said partially removed had to get files removed manually which i did.
    imagebrowser imageimagebrowser image

• 10.  RE: SYMANTEC AV 10.1 RED BORDERS ALL AROUND!!!!!!

Posted Jun 23, 2009 01:13 PM
    I am new to this problem.   Can you repair your windows. before this you can remove the SAV to check whether it solves the problem or not.

• 11.  RE: SYMANTEC AV 10.1 RED BORDERS ALL AROUND!!!!!!

Posted Jun 27, 2009 09:47 PM
    If you still suspect if there could be virus on that computer, Try to use a process explorer tool and check for suspicious process on your computer.

If you are an advance user you may also use Filemon(file monitor),regmon(registry monitor) to find a possible threat!

All of the above mentioned tools and utilities are from Sysinternals(Microsoft) and can be downloaded separately or in a bundle from the web site link below.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb842062.aspx

-->Trouble running or exploring the tools, i would recommend you calling the Tech support guyz They would assist you removing the threats!!

Its more challenging and needs a lot of patience removing any virus by ourself!

• 12.  RE: SYMANTEC AV 10.1 RED BORDERS ALL AROUND!!!!!!

Posted Jun 27, 2009 10:07 PM
    Can you confirm that you are using the Classic Style theme on the apperance? Any tweaking softwares installed?

• 13.  RE: SYMANTEC AV 10.1 RED BORDERS ALL AROUND!!!!!!

Posted Jun 27, 2009 10:20 PM
    this is just an item active windows display border, if you change your theme to classic it will go back to original settings, but just for reference,

right click on your desktop
    click properties
    go to appearance tab
    click advanced button
    on the item change the active window border to gray.

• 14.  RE: SYMANTEC AV 10.1 RED BORDERS ALL AROUND!!!!!!

Posted Jun 28, 2009 08:35 PM
    Any updates on this issue? this is just a an item on the theme on display option.

• 15.  RE: SYMANTEC AV 10.1 RED BORDERS ALL AROUND!!!!!!

Posted Jun 29, 2009 02:22 AM
    Open task manager, in the processes, right click on explorer.exe and click on end process tree.  [Note: You may want to stop any critical processes on the server before you kill explorer]

Once that is done, your desktop screen will disappear. Then go to file->new task->notepad.exe

Check if you still have the red lines around. If they are not, then something running inside explorer.exe is the culprit. A process explorer run should the needful.

Cheers,
    Aniket

• 16.  RE: SYMANTEC AV 10.1 RED BORDERS ALL AROUND!!!!!!

Posted Jun 29, 2009 02:35 AM
    No aniket this is not a virus, check my previous post. Try it, it's just the active window border. just change it to a gray color. please mark my answer as the solution if it it fixes it.

• 17.  RE: SYMANTEC AV 10.1 RED BORDERS ALL AROUND!!!!!!

Posted Jun 29, 2009 02:53 AM
    Will mark as solved as soon as we get a confirmation from the user.

Cheers,
    ANiket

• 18.  RE: SYMANTEC AV 10.1 RED BORDERS ALL AROUND!!!!!!

Posted Jun 29, 2009 02:56 AM
    Thanks sir.

• 19.  RE: SYMANTEC AV 10.1 RED BORDERS ALL AROUND!!!!!!

Posted Jun 29, 2009 03:25 AM
    thanks Paul Mapacpac for resolving the issue.
    Hope you get the solution.