Symantec Backup Exec 2010 - Replacing the Old tapes with New ones
I am NEW to the world of Backups with almost no experience. I have to look after a small backup infrastructure and i wont have the time to go through the Administrator's Guide anytime soon.
My backup setup is as following:
- Symantec Backup Exec 2010 running on Windows 2003 R2 Server.
- HP Storageworks 1/8 Tape Library (with 8 slots).
I have never performed anything on a Tape Device before and I am looking at the Backup Exec Administrator's console for fairly the first time.
How the backup is configured and what i need to understand is as follows:
- Our NAS Server is configured to perform a full backup every Thursday night to Slots 6/7/8 on the Tape Device.
- On the BE Console > under Devices > I see Slot 6/7/8 are completely used (Media Full) and they are also set to NOT overwrite.
- As a result of the point mentioned above (2) the full backups have been failing for the past 2 weeks (its what i Understand but correct me if i am wrong).
- I do have NEW Tapes lying in the inventory. So i think replacing the Tapes in slot 6/7/8 should be a good idea.
Can anyone please suggest which direction do i go from here ? I would like to take those Tapes out (6/7/8) and put in the new ones but i understand its not as simple as replacing a Disc in a Music System :-).
I really do need this done urgently.
Thanks a LOT !