Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
  • 1.  Symantec Boot Disk Creator 12.0.0.6277 & Networking Issues

Posted Dec 23, 2014 09:53 PM

Good Evening.

I just downloaded the latest Boot Disk Creator for use with WinPE 4.0 / 5.0 to create a new 64bit Boot Disk for imaging our workstations.

After creating the new disk, I booted into Ghost in an attempt to run a GhostCast session, however it appeared that I was not getting an IP Address, not even 127.0.0.1.  I incorrectly assumed that the newest Intel LAN Drivers were not installed, and spent a good hour getting them injected into the WIM File.

Having booted again into the Environment, I still was not getting a local IP Address in the GhostCast Window, so I did an ipconfig within the Command window, lo and behold, I had a valid IP there, but for some reason it was not showing up in Ghost64.

What I am wondering, is if this is a bug with the 64bit version of Ghost client, or is there a switch that I'm missing?  It would be rather handy to have the IP Address listed and not have to run IPConfig every time.

Thanks!

• 2.  RE: Symantec Boot Disk Creator 12.0.0.6277 & Networking Issues

Posted Dec 24, 2014 04:37 AM

I doubt this is related to the Ghost client as it does not manage the NIC - it is entirely the responsibility of WinPE to handle the NIC.  I am wondering if this might be a timing issue, in that your DHCP server is not responding in time or there is some other negotiation issue preventing the NIC getting a valid IP address.

You could consider adding IPCONFIG /release, then IPCONFIG /renew into the CMD file that WinPE launches with a delay in between, so that the NIC has time to finish initialising.

Out of curiosity, is there a reason for going the 64 bit route?  Imaging is just a process of reading and writing disk blocks and this happens pretty much identically for 32 bit and 64 bit - unless of course you are doing something inherently outside the capabilities of 32 bit WinPE.

• 3.  RE: Symantec Boot Disk Creator 12.0.0.6277 & Networking Issues

Posted Jan 04, 2015 08:03 PM

Heya,

So I went ahead and created a 32bit version of the Ghost Book Disk using WinPE 4.0.

I manually injected my Dell Intel LAN Drivers into both 32bit and 64bit WinPE.wim files before running the wizard to create the disk.

Same issue, boot into Ghost32, under GhostCast - Unicast option, still no IP Address listed.  Checking IPCONFIG and there is a valid IP.

IMG_20150104_165804.jpg

I can specify our Image Server address and multicast no problem, however, as I mentioned above, there is no address listed in the GhostCast window.

Thanks.

• 4.  RE: Symantec Boot Disk Creator 12.0.0.6277 & Networking Issues

Posted Jan 15, 2015 04:06 PM

I believe its a known thing (I am not sure if I can call it a bug in case if its intentional) as the older version lists the IP address correctly.

• 5.  RE: Symantec Boot Disk Creator 12.0.0.6277 & Networking Issues

Posted Jan 17, 2015 10:35 PM

So sorry but which is the latest Boot Disk Creator at now?

• 6.  RE: Symantec Boot Disk Creator 12.0.0.6277 & Networking Issues

Posted Jan 18, 2015 01:48 PM

If you have current maintenance on your purchase of Ghost 11.5 then contact support as detailed in the sticky posting at the top of this forum and they will give you access to the downloadable code. This is not a free upgrade.