Messaging Gateway

View Only
  • 1.  Symantec Brightmail Gateway 8.0.3 as Exchange 2003 Smarthost

Posted Oct 01, 2012 11:50 PM

Hello everyone:

I have an Exchange 2003 server and a SBG 8.0.3. This SBG is working fine with inbound messages.

I'm trying to configure my Symantec Brightmail Gateway 8.0.3 as Exchange 2003 Smarthost, I think I have miss some configuration. What I've already configured is:

Administration / Hosts /Configuration / SMTP / Mail Filtering : Activate Inbound and outbound mail filtering

Administration / Hosts /Configuration / SMTP / Outbound Mail Acceptance: Added Exchange 2003 IP address

Administration / Hosts /Configuration / Internal Mail Hosts: Add Exchange 2003 IP address

Also in my Default Group Settings I enabled only Outbound Antivirus Policies.

In my firewall I create a policy for my SBG for using SMTP protocol.

When I configured my Exchange 2003 for using SBG as Smarthost, my email messages are not being deliver. I received an email with an "address rejected message".

Has someone configured succesfully SBG as Smarthost? Could someone share documentation about it?

Thank you so much.

• 2.  RE: Symantec Brightmail Gateway 8.0.3 as Exchange 2003 Smarthost

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 02, 2012 11:48 AM

You need to upgrade from 8.0.3. Version 9.0 and up allows you to accept incoming and outgoign mail on the same IP address and port, like what you are trying to achieve.

The other reason is that 8.0.3 is not supported and very out of date in regards to vulnerabilities and spam effectiveness.

• 3.  RE: Symantec Brightmail Gateway 8.0.3 as Exchange 2003 Smarthost

Posted Oct 02, 2012 12:40 PM

I just realized about the incoming and outgoing settings ip address and port configuration and that's really a big problem because I can't specify a different port in my Exchange 2003 in the smarthost configuration. I will review the upgrade procedure.

Thank you very much for your help.

• 4.  RE: Symantec Brightmail Gateway 8.0.3 as Exchange 2003 Smarthost

Posted Oct 03, 2012 02:08 PM

Hello,

As JDavis mentioned that you need to upgrade, but also it's better to upgrade it to 10.0.0-7 version to get more features.

Regards,

Oykun

• 5.  RE: Symantec Brightmail Gateway 8.0.3 as Exchange 2003 Smarthost

Posted Oct 03, 2012 05:14 PM

Hi!

Thanks for your comments. Do you know if it´s possible to migrate directly from Symantec Brightmail Gateway from 8.0.3 to 10.0.0-7? I'm talking about the VM version.

Thanks!

• 6.  RE: Symantec Brightmail Gateway 8.0.3 as Exchange 2003 Smarthost

Posted Oct 03, 2012 05:19 PM

Hi,

Unfortunately, first you must upgrade it to version 9.X then you can upgrade directly to 10.0.0-7 version both for VM or hardware appliance.

Regards,

Oykun

• 7.  RE: Symantec Brightmail Gateway 8.0.3 as Exchange 2003 Smarthost

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 03, 2012 06:24 PM

As per our release notes:

Supported paths to version 10.0
    You can update to Symantec Messaging Gateway 10.0 by using any of the following
    methods:
    ■ Software update from version 8.0.3 or later

Please review them before upgrading:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH193789

• 8.  RE: Symantec Brightmail Gateway 8.0.3 as Exchange 2003 Smarthost

Posted Oct 03, 2012 06:39 PM

Ahh :) JDavis is correct, if you can see "New Version available" warning in the home page below for 10 version you can go directly to upgrade it to version 10.

But please create a full backup before you start and don't forget to download your computer and by the way remember that you can restore backups with the same version that you backed up from.

Regards,

Oykun