Messaging Gateway

View Only
  • 1.  Symantec Brightmail not receiving external email on exchange 2003

Posted Sep 14, 2009 04:23 PM
    I  recently started having problems with our Exchange 2003 server running Symantec Brightmail.
    For some reason, I  cannot receive any external email. I have not done any changes on the system. I can still out email with no problems.
    All my internal email works fine. We can send and receive internaly.

I know for a fact that Brightmail is the problem. I turned off all Symantec Brightmail services, and we started receving external email without a problem.
    I am new to Brightmail settings so I would like to see if somebody could guide me on where to look.

Thanks ini advance

• 2.  RE: Symantec Brightmail not receiving external email on exchange 2003

Posted Sep 15, 2009 02:03 PM
    Have you called in to support yet? This would be considered a severity 1 situation and we want to help as soon as possible.

Internal mail is generally not going to go through Brightmail as your mail server handles these within the message store. So this is why it could be working, but external mail isn't.

There can be several things that could cause a stop in mail flow with our product so it is difficult to assess over the forums. Do you have anything upstream internally in your mail flow? This can cause a stop in mail flow because of our reputation services. If you do, you would need to add that server to the Internal Mail Hosts tab of your settings tab.

Are you using any Third Party blocked senders lists? This would be in the Blocked senders section of the Settings tab. If you do, try disabling it and see if that helps.

Again, I would highly suggest that you give us a call.

Thanks!
    Tom

• 3.  RE: Symantec Brightmail not receiving external email on exchange 2003

Posted Sep 17, 2009 07:14 AM
    One of the Queues on the appliance are probably the inbound queue is getting filled up until the device doesn't respond any incoming mail. What version are you using right now?

• 4.  RE: Symantec Brightmail not receiving external email on exchange 2003

Posted Sep 23, 2009 06:20 PM
    I have the problem that we are getting some email from the outside world, but not all. and it is definitely related to symantec's antispam software.  I think also related to senders who have a dynamic ip address from their ISP, in my case particularly Qwest.  

I find it interesting that my first reports of this problem occurred on the same day as your original posting.

• 5.  RE: Symantec Brightmail not receiving external email on exchange 2003

Posted Oct 28, 2009 11:03 AM
    I have similar problem.

The external mail cannot deliver from mail gateway to Exchange 2007 but can deliver to MailEnable. I am use mail security for SMTP.

Mail gateway can receive external mail.