Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Symantec Client for Windows 2008 64-bit Domain Controllers

Posted Sep 14, 2009 11:35 AM
    Recently, i have upgraded my Domain Controllers to Windows 2008 64-bit. I upgraded my first DC and install SEP v11 on it. Then I was trying to promote my other DC, but then it failed. It was able to promote my second DC when i un-installed SEP v11 from my first DC. Now, I am hesitant to put SEP v11 on my two production DC's. What version of SEP is fully compatible with Windows 2008 64-bit?

• 2.  RE: Symantec Client for Windows 2008 64-bit Domain Controllers

Posted Sep 14, 2009 11:43 AM
    MR4MP2 is fully compatible.

Most likely it was the Network Threat Protection component that stopped the promotion, as the firewall will block that traffic unless specifically configured to allow it. 

• 3.  RE: Symantec Client for Windows 2008 64-bit Domain Controllers

Posted Sep 14, 2009 03:40 PM

Unless you create your scan exemptions manually it would be wise to promote your DCs before you install SEP. That way when SEP is installed it will detect that the server is a DC and automatically create the appropriate scan exemptions.

Correct me if I'm wrong but if you have SEP installed prior to promoting a server to a DC the exemptions aren't created and SEP will be scanning your AD database and and transaction logs which isn't recommended.