Data Loss Prevention

View Only
  • 1.  Symantec DLP and Office 365 Monitoring

Posted Nov 11, 2013 01:03 PM

Hello All,

I tried to find some info regarding monitoring Exchange Online (Microsoft Cloud) with DLP, and could not find.

I know that Symantec considered to provide solution, but currently seems that they are on hold.

Microsoft DLP solution which is provided, is nice, but not providing the ability of Symantec DLP.

Can someone share his thoughts about this issue?

What do you plan to do?
    +

Note: I must say, that I was amazed that Symantec decided to stop supprting 32 bit servers, on 12.0 version.

My organization will have to create all DLP enviornment from scratch in order to get to this version.

I have no idea who took this decision on Symantec, but he really hurt us, cause it means that we will have to consider a new project for the DLP.

But I really do not know if it's worth it, without solution to 365

Thanks,

• 2.  RE: Symantec DLP and Office 365 Monitoring

Posted Nov 11, 2013 03:21 PM

Symantec released the 11.6.3 update to cover the people that were not able to migrate to a 32 bit environment.  

There are other topics in this forum that ask a similiar question and there are different solutions that might be of value to you but this one in particular might help you out.

http://www.mimecast.com/mc/kb/Mimecast/KBID10601.htm

Also, please take the time to read carefully through the instructions on how to migrate to DLP 12 from a 32 bit environment.  If you are familiar with how to update the product in the past, this upgrade will not be the same.  

• 3.  RE: Symantec DLP and Office 365 Monitoring

Posted Nov 11, 2013 06:03 PM

You are absolutely right that Microsoft's DLP solution that's built into Exchange does not compare to the scope offered by Symantec.

That being said, if you are considering the DLP feature built into O365 or Exchange 2013+, I will point out that the "out of box" DLP Policies which are included with Exchange are very basic in most cases.  As an example, the HIPAA policy does not detect all elements required for HIPAA compliance.

If you go this route, I suggest looking at the DLP Polices from Nucleuz which can be dropped into Exchange for a near turn-key solution.  The benefit with this combination boils down to cost savings since the DLP infrastructure & management is already available from Exchange, and you only need to obtain premium DLP Policies.

This solution is effective if you're primarily focused on DLP in motion via e-mail.  I believe other Micorosft applications will become DLP-aware in the future, so the scope will increase over time.

Hope that helps.