Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Symantec End-Point Protection - 12.1 (Browser add-on)

Created: 08 Aug 2012 • Updated: 08 Aug 2012 | 8 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Besides Internet Explorer, any talk about having a browser plug-in for Mozilla or Google Chrome regarding Intrusion Prevention?

Comments 8 CommentsJump to latest comment

Mithun Sanghavi's picture

Hello,

Browser Intrusion Prevention System (Browser IPS) is a new advanced protection feature included with the SEP 12.1 client. This technology works in conjunction with, but is separate from the Client Intrusion Detection System (CIDS) used by the client firewall-based IPS engine in SEP.

Browser IPS intercepts VBScript, JavaScript and ActiveX calls running in the browser as they are executed, inspecting the parameters of these calls for exploits to vulnerabilities. This allows the Browser IPS engine to detect exploit code which would otherwise have been hidden or obfuscated from other detection methods -including the CIDS engine.

Reference: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH172174

The Intrusion Prevention policy includes browser intrusion prevention, which uses IPS signatures to detect the attacks that are directed at browser vulnerabilities.

Browser IPS utilizes an extension for Internet Explorer or Firefox to provide this protection. 

Check this Article which would assist you in Supported Browser versions for Browser Intrusion Prevention  - 

www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH174537

As for Google Chrome, you can download Norton Safe Web from below link. It is free web site rating service.

See Enabling or disabling network intrusion prevention or browser intrusion prevention.

Also, check How Symantec Endpoint Protection protection features work together

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO55268

Hope that helps!!!

Mithun Sanghavi
Senior Consultant
MIM | MCSA | MCTS | STS | SSE | SSE+ | ITIL v3

Don't forget to mark your thread as 'SOLVED' with the answer that best helped you.

DLandA's picture

Thanks for the iterpretation of what the add-on does..but that doesn't answer my question.  I am simply asking will there be an add-on such as the one for Internet Explorer..be availiable for Mozilla or Google Chrome browsers?

.Brian's picture

There is already one for Firefox. Installed and working for me on FF 14.0.1. Nothing for Chrome, not sure if its in the works or not.

Please click the "Mark as solution" link at bottom left on the post that best answers your question. This will benefit admins looking for a solution to the same problem.

DLandA's picture

Hi Brian,

I re-read my post and apparently I guess thre previous poster before you says there is one but still not clear ...my mistake..  Ok..I am using the latest version of firefox as you are.   I confirmed and  that plug-in is not active? What do I do in order to just get that plug-in installed via the manager for the client. Please tell me I don't have to do a complete re-install via the manager.  Everything else works fine with the endpoint client. 

Thanks...

.Brian's picture

I assume you have the Intrusion Prevention component installed on the client? If so, the addon should be enabled automatically when SEP is installed.

If not, you will need to push a new package to client that has the IPS component included.

Need a few more details about your SEP install to determine...

Please click the "Mark as solution" link at bottom left on the post that best answers your question. This will benefit admins looking for a solution to the same problem.

SOLUTION
Mithun Sanghavi's picture

Hello,

Browser IPS utilizes an extension for Internet Explorer or Firefox to provide this protection. 

Check this Article which would assist you in Supported Browser versions for Browser Intrusion Prevention  - 

www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH174537

As for Google Chrome, you can download Norton Safe Web from below link. It is free web site rating service.

http://safeweb.norton.com/lite/

Secondly, I believe in the upcoming version of SEP 12.1, you may see more browsers being supported.

Hope that helps!!

Mithun Sanghavi
Senior Consultant
MIM | MCSA | MCTS | STS | SSE | SSE+ | ITIL v3

Don't forget to mark your thread as 'SOLVED' with the answer that best helped you.

DLandA's picture

I thought so...thanks brian. I did what you said and I know see it in Mozilla.

See attached...Yay!!

Thanks...

AttachmentSize
SEP IDS Plug-in For Mozilla.doc 263.5 KB
.Brian's picture

Please don't forget to mark the thread as solved :)