Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Symantec End Point Protection Manager Service keeps crashing error 4096 in event log

Created: 22 Aug 2008 • Updated: 02 Mar 2009

After migrating from SQL 2000 to SQL 2005 ( I followed the DR doco and removed and reinstalled EndPoint not forgetting to update the SQL 2005 tools on the server (database and SEP are on two seperate boxes ) restored the keystore and then restored the database ).

The SEP Manager service keep crash just after stating and I was getting Error 4096 in the event log. I was nott able to login to the console due to the service crashing. 

Error 4096 

The Java Virtual Machine has exited with a code of -1, the service is being stopped.

I found that using the sem5 database account I was not able to connect to the database ( my first thoughts are that the restore of the previous database has done something stranage to the sem5 user within the database )  . I ran the SEP management server config wizard and changed the account that was being used to connect to the database from the sem5 user to the sa account for the sql database. I can now load the console and login with the service crashing and I am not getting any errors.

Knowing how funny Symantec is I then decided to reboot the computer. I then ran the SEP management server config wizard again and configured it to use the sem5 database account again. Stranage enough it is all still working.

Message Edited by bozman on 08-22-2008 03:21 PM