Video Screencast Help

Symantec Endpoint Protection blocking Okcupid website

Created: 12 Sep 2013 | 7 comments

In approximately the last week the Okcupid website will not load unless I disable Symantec Endpoint Protection on my home desktop PC. My notebook running the same OS (Win7 Ultimate SP1) & SEP 12 version is not effected. I cleared cache/cookies/history on both Firefox & Chrome browsers, ran full scans with SEP & Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware the later found/removed PUP.Optional but this did not resolve the issue, this to my knowledge is the only site effected & I'm out of ideas on how to resolve this.

Operating Systems:

Comments 7 CommentsJump to latest comment

.Brian's picture

Check the risk and security log on the SEP client. Is there something in there to indicate a risk was caught?

What components do you have installed?

Please click the "Mark as solution" link at bottom left on the post that best answers your question. This will benefit admins looking for a solution to the same problem.

Blackbeen's picture

The security log is empty & the risk log just has a couple benign cookies removed in daily scan.
I'm not sure what you mean by components I just have the standard unmanaged client installed.

SEP.png

.Brian's picture

Does the work if you disable all components except AV?

I doubt AV is the culprit, I'm thinking more along the lines of the firewall or IPS.

Just to note, the site works fine for me with everything enabled, although I have newer content updates.

Has it always been unmanaged or was it managed at one point with a different set of policies applied?

Please click the "Mark as solution" link at bottom left on the post that best answers your question. This will benefit admins looking for a solution to the same problem.

Mithun Sanghavi's picture

Hello,

I am able to get on the website.

Is there any Application and Device Control Policy or a Firewall policy in place which restricts user from visiting the website?

Check these Articles:

How to Restrict Users to Specific Web Sites by Creating Firewall Rules for Managed Clients

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH92097

Blocking a Website using Symantec Endpoint Protection

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH92405

and check this Thread: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/block-website

Hope that helps!!

 

Mithun Sanghavi
Senior Consultant
MIM | MCSA | MCTS | STS | SSE | SSE+ | ITIL v3

Don't forget to mark your thread as 'SOLVED' with the answer that best helped you.

Blackbeen's picture

It works when I right click the tray icon & click Disable Symantec Endpoint Protection, it has always been unmanaged unmanaged & I've never set any special Firewall rules, these are the rules thart are set:

rules.png

When protection is enabled the page will load for a second & just go to white screen:

OKQ.png

pete_4u2002's picture

may be you uncheck all the rules, and activate one by one to know which one is culprit.

 

Blackbeen's picture

Unticking Block Web Services Discovery & Allow Ipv6 LLMNR individually seemed to work for a bit but stopped. I disabled all other rules one at a time & finally all together & it still failed to load.