Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Symantec Endpoint Protection SBE 12 on Windows Server 2003 R2

Created: 09 Jul 2009 • Updated: 21 May 2010 | 15 comments

After fully removing Symantec Antivirus 11.0 from  the server, I've installed Symantec Endpoint SBE 12 on this server.
The server has the following hw and sw:

Processor....: Pentium D 3.4Ghz
Memory.........: 4Gb
Disks.............: 2 x 146Gb Raid1 (currently about 100Gb free)

OS..................: Windows Server 2003 R2 fully up-to-date (sp2)
Database......: SQL Express 2005 for client database access

The server is running the following services:
- Domain Controller
- DNS Server
- DHCP Server
- RRAS

The problem started when, after install, I tried to access Symantec Management Console and the progress bar stopped on 1/4 of the way!
The program just doesn't load, so I can't depoly the antivirus to any of the desktops or the server itself.
On the Event Viewer I had the following errors:

Source....: Apache Service
Event ID..: 3299
Error........: The Apache service named reported the following error: >>> [Thu Jul 09 09:31:24 2009] [notice] Disabled use of AcceptEx() WinSock2 API .

and...

Source....: semsrv
Event ID..: 4096
Error........: The description for Event ID ( 4096 ) in Source ( semsrv ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: The Java Virtual Machine has exited with a code of 1, the service is being stopped..

I've already tried to reinstall / repair, even downloaded the software again and reinstalled it, but still get the above messages.
Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance,
Pedro Gonçalves

Comments 15 CommentsJump to latest comment

Thomas K's picture

A conflict on port 8005 may account for this error.

Run  "netstat - b" and verify that the port is not in use by another service.

Also try to run the support tool found here - http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-security....

PM me once you have run the tool and I will give you instructions on where to upload the file.

Thanks,
Thomas

Thomas K's picture

I created a fileshare account for you and sent you a PM. Please upload the files and we will take a look to see what is going on with your install.

Thomas

Thomas K's picture

You mentioned removing " Symantec Antivirus 11.0 from the server". Do you mean Symantec Endpoint Protection 11.0?

It appears that there is a SEP 11 Agent still running on this server. Can you confirm this? If so,  try removing the agent then reinstall SEP12.

pedromrgoncalves's picture

I can't find the agent!!! is there any uninstaller for that? how do I manually uninstall it!

Thomas K's picture

Are you running any other Symantec apps like Mail Security for Exchange?

Thomas K's picture

You may be better off wiping the system clean of all Symantec apps. Do you have access to the cleanwipe tool?

Thomas K's picture

You will need to open a case with Symantec support. Be sure to tell them up front that you need the Cleanwipe tool. If you have any problem getting support to provide the tool, send me a PM with your case number.

Regards,
Thomas

Thomas K's picture

Pedromrgoncalves,

Did you receive my PM. Let me know if that was helpful.
Give us an update when you have a moment.

Cheers,
Thomas