Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Symantec Endpoint Protection Suite Enterprise Edition 12.1

Posted Feb 06, 2012 09:45 AM

Our clients use the Kofax Capture 9.0 software for scanning all types of paper.  Our main Kofax server onsite handles the administration functionality and routes the batches (documents) to the clients database so they can be used for retrieval.  Recently our IT department informed me they will be installing Symantec Endpoint Protection Suite Enterprise Edition 12.1 on our web server and main Kofax server.....This makes me worried.

This Kofax software is very sensitive. I was wondering if Symantec had any documentation/configuration guides that would have any important info regarding this (i.e.  Getting started guide, developer’s guide, etc…)?  

I did find this on Kofax's website. QAID 11948 lists some directories that should be excluded.    

http://knowledgebase.kofax.com/faqsearch/results.aspx?QAID=11948

I’m a little worried that when a batch passes through our KFXAC server, the antivirus software might think the batch is a virus and will block it.  I know when you install antivirus you can you can enable a feature called network intrusion prevention.  This basically acts like a firewall but it could potentially stop our Kofax client/server communication.  

If there is anyone out there that knows about this please let me know as we are installing this software soon.

• 2.  RE: Symantec Endpoint Protection Suite Enterprise Edition 12.1

Posted Feb 08, 2012 10:35 AM

Moving to SEP forum.

• 3.  RE: Symantec Endpoint Protection Suite Enterprise Edition 12.1

Posted Feb 08, 2012 11:45 AM

I have not seen any documented cases regarding conflicts between SEP and Kofax. If possible it would be ideal to setup a small test environment with Kofax and SEP 12.1 installed with the recommended scan exceptions from kofax in place and see if there are any detections prior to rolling out to production. 

• 4.  RE: Symantec Endpoint Protection Suite Enterprise Edition 12.1

Posted Feb 08, 2012 01:49 PM
      |   view attached

When installing the SEP client 12.1 - you can configure many options.

1 of those options is minimum security for servers.  This will install ONLY anti-virus and anti-spyware + liveupdate for connecting to the SEPM server or to the Liveupdate website.

As described in the screenshot below.

So, if you don't need Intrusion Prevention, SEP firewall, etc. This should be enough.

Also, important to note, you will be losing the ability to block application and device control.

• 5.  RE: Symantec Endpoint Protection Suite Enterprise Edition 12.1

Posted Feb 08, 2012 02:07 PM

Thank you for the feedback as this will be very useful.  The only thing I am thinking about doing is having them setup is a exclusion list like discussed in

http://knowledgebase.kofax.com/faqsearch/results.aspx?QAID=11948 

I am not a security buff as I mainly deal with scanners and scanning.  How tough is it for them to setup this exclusion list?  Should I just give them the paths of the directories? 

• 6.  RE: Symantec Endpoint Protection Suite Enterprise Edition 12.1

Posted Feb 10, 2012 01:44 AM

we can add as application name in exception list..centralized exception in symantec manager.

please refer the below article.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH104326

• 7.  RE: Symantec Endpoint Protection Suite Enterprise Edition 12.1

Posted Mar 20, 2012 09:45 AM

We setup the exception list and ran into no issues after the Symantec installation...  I was able to create, upload/export batches successfully.  If anyone has any questions regarding this in the future you can email me at nathanpetznick@quadax.com.  I am no Kofax Capture expert but I know enough to assist.  Thanks for all your help everyone!