Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
  • 1.  Symantec Ghost 11.5 - external hard disk issu

Posted Mar 30, 2016 09:43 AM

Hello everybody,

I  wanted to take a ghost on my compagny computer.

When i select the hard disk to backup, the next window told me to select the folder i want to store the image.

I don't see my external hard disk. If you have any idea?

Just for information, i processed some ghost last month on W7 x64, no problem.

The computer is a Dell Precision 3650 with W7 x64.

Thanks for your support

• 2.  RE: Symantec Ghost 11.5 - external hard disk issu

Posted Mar 30, 2016 12:10 PM

How are you running Ghost?  Installed in the operating system or running from a WinPE boot disk?  Is the external disk connected to a USB-3 port?

• 3.  RE: Symantec Ghost 11.5 - external hard disk issu

Posted Mar 31, 2016 01:46 AM

I boot the software with a boot disk. I connect my external hard disk to a USB-3 and USB-2 port.

• 4.  RE: Symantec Ghost 11.5 - external hard disk issu

Posted Mar 31, 2016 03:11 AM

You need to tell me if the boot disk is DOS or WinPE.  Both can be created using GSS 2.51

DOS does not support USB so that would explain your problem if you are using DOS.

WinPE will support USB-2 but will not support USB-3 unless you load the correct Vista 32 bit drivers.  There may also be an issue if your external drive is USB-3. Some early Western Digital units also provided a driver for the drive itself which needed to be loaded if using a USB-3 port.

So to reduce the number of potential issues, stick with USB-2 ports only and make sure you are using a USB-2 drive. Bear in mind that GSS 2.51 is a very old product, so even the WinPE boot disk is based on a very old version of Windows - specifically Vista 32 bit.

The new GSS 3.1 supports the latest versions of WinPE and currently ships with WinPE based on the Windows 8.1 kernel, for which drivers should be universally available. Some users are using WinPE from Windows 10, and again, most vendors now provide Windows 10 drivers as well.