Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
  • 1.  Symantec Ghost 11.5.1 picking up loopback address on Optiplex780s

Posted Mar 01, 2013 11:37 AM

I apologize in advance for the possibly convoluted explanation I'm about to give. I'm just a college intern way out of his expertise.

I've been running into this problem for a while now, I have the Ghost Server installed on an Optiplex 780 with Windows 7 that has no had any problems with restoring images to older models of the Optiplex, namely models below the 755.

The typical setup is I would run the GhostCast Server application on the first 780 (Let's call this server780), concurrently the second 780 would be using a Ghost Boot Disk CD created with the Ghost Boot Wizard from server780. It would boot from the CD into the (I believe it's called) pre-OS symantec ghost interface. Normally on older versions I would simply multicast and there would be a local IP other than the loopback address 127.0.0.1 

Therein I believe lies the problem, since it doesn't pick up an IP address it can't communicate with the server780 and I cannot restore images to hard drives connected to the 780.

The entire point of these operations is to restore images to hard drives connected to the second 780. The entire operation involves two computers (server780, second780) and one network switch that both computers are connected to. 

Also, the boot disk is using the Pre-OS [Windows PE] with all the options being default and burned onto a disk using the wizard.

Thank you very much for your time.

• 2.  RE: Symantec Ghost 11.5.1 picking up loopback address on Optiplex780s

Posted Mar 03, 2013 06:19 AM

The problem is that your existing WinPE boot image is lacking the correct drivers for the network chipsets on the new hardware you are trying to image. Getting the loopback address is a clear indicator that the network interface is not working.

These two links should get you going in the right direction:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH110134

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/do-i-have-correct-driver-winpe

• 3.  RE: Symantec Ghost 11.5.1 picking up loopback address on Optiplex780s

Posted Mar 04, 2013 03:01 PM

another giveaway that you dont have network drivers is if the machine to be ghosted keeps saying "Polling for bound server " with the name of your Ghost Server.

You need to download the network drivers for that machine, in VISTA 32bit, and after adding them to the boot CD maker, you have to enable them by checking the box