Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Symantec Ghost 8.3: Creating boot disk for Windows 7 HP ELitebook 8460

• 1.  Symantec Ghost 8.3: Creating boot disk for Windows 7 HP ELitebook 8460

Posted Nov 18, 2011 01:56 AM

Hi Everyone,

We are facing a serious issue affecting our project.

Platform: 

• Ghost 8.3
    • Windows 7
    • HP Elitebook 8460 (NIC- Intel 8257 GLM Gigabit Network Adapter)

When we tried to create a network boot disk for the laptop above, we attached a DOS driver file for the NIC. But there are problems with this CD as there appear to be two network adapters listed in the device manager and the PROTOCOL.ini file needs the SLOT numbers for these two adapters included. I cannot find a way to determine these SLOT numbers. 

I have tried a boot disk with just the DRIVERNAME specified in the PROTOCOL.ini and I don't get any information back concerning the SLOT numbers.

If someone can help us on how a boot CD can be assembled for this model of laptop, then I will be pleased to try again. 

I would really appreciate if someone can help us out. We need to do this for a number of laptops. Please help.

Thank you

Lovleen

• 2.  RE: Symantec Ghost 8.3: Creating boot disk for Windows 7 HP ELitebook 8460

Posted Nov 18, 2011 05:22 AM

If these laptops have two NIC devices, presumably one of them is the Wireless NIC. This will not work under DOS as DOS does not support wireless NIC devices - you need the full operating system to do this. Consequently, you could try the simple step of turning off the Wireless NIC in the bios and then see if you can get the single remaining ethernet NIC working.

HOWEVER, it is a fact that modern hardware has outgrown DOS. DOS does not support SATA hard disks which are standard nowadays, so you need to switch the hard disk emulation to the older ATA (IDE) standard otherwise DOS will not see your hard disk. Some bioses no longer provide this legacy support. Additionally, optical devices are predominantly SATA these days also, so the old DOS cdrom drivers no longer work either.

Consequently, you should consider switching to WinPE as your boot environment - and this can run from CD or DVD or any USB storage device such as a flash drive or external USB disk. The article at https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/readyadventures-winpe will get you started.

As you have Ghost 8.3, you will find that the DOS executable will run under WinPE and allow you to image hard disks. The great thing about WinPE is that you can add drivers for both NIC and SATA chipsets if the base WinPE release lacks the appropriate support.

Just one further thing you should be aware of.  

Windows 7 consists of two partitions (in addition to any vendor maintenance partitions), and both are needed for Windows 7 to start correctly.  Ghost 8.3 is unaware of the way the boot manager operates in Windows 7, so you will need to image the disk, rather than just a partition, so that the structures are maintained.