Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Symantec Ghost and Dell Optiplex 780

• 1.  Symantec Ghost and Dell Optiplex 780

Posted Jul 27, 2010 11:40 AM

I am trying to image a Dell Optiplex 780 with the Intel NIC but I am unable to pull an IP from my DHCP server.  I have isolated the problem to the Intel e1000.dos driver, but I am unable to satisfactorily update my thumb drive.  I have added the updated driver into the winPE profile as a new driver, and reinstalled to my flash drive but I am still getting 127.0.0.1 as my IP.  Is there anything I am missing in this process, or is there a better way to do this?

Thanks,

• 2.  RE: Symantec Ghost and Dell Optiplex 780
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 27, 2010 01:00 PM

Hi,

Try the following,

1. After the client boots into the Pre-OS quit out of ghost
    2. In the command prompt type in ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew
    3. Now check the IP address
    4. If its still getting 127.0.0.1 as IP you need to add Windows Vista NIC driver to the boot package as WinPE is based on Windows Vista.

Regards,

Prasanna Rajagopalan

• 3.  RE: Symantec Ghost and Dell Optiplex 780

Posted Jul 27, 2010 01:02 PM
    you say you isolated the problem down to the intel e1000.dos driver but updated your PE driver.  the .dos driver is for a dos or pc-dos boot disk, not PE.  it may be as simple as using a new PE boot disk assuming you integrated the correct driver.

• 4.  RE: Symantec Ghost and Dell Optiplex 780

Posted Jul 27, 2010 02:24 PM

I've tried that already.  I get an error about not having any devices in the state permissable for this operation.  Basically, no adapters to do this. 

I've added win7 and XP driver updates to the winPE image, and I am trying the Vista specific ones now.  I will let you know how it goes.

thank you

• 5.  RE: Symantec Ghost and Dell Optiplex 780

Posted Jul 27, 2010 02:25 PM

I've actually tried both ways.  I got frustrated with the winPE version and tried the old pc-dos style with the same problem.  I am updating the winPE drivers again and giving it a shot.

• 6.  RE: Symantec Ghost and Dell Optiplex 780

Posted Jul 27, 2010 02:30 PM

depending on the machine there may be a performance hit but using the PXE dos boot disk always works.

• 7.  RE: Symantec Ghost and Dell Optiplex 780

Posted Jul 27, 2010 02:41 PM
    The Universal Packet Driver (UNDI) driver works good as long as PXE is enabled.  Also if the NIC and Mass Storrage Controller is on the same IRQ then use the IRQCFG version,  this is to try and deal with IRQ conflicts.

Cheers.

• 8.  RE: Symantec Ghost and Dell Optiplex 780

Posted Jul 27, 2010 02:49 PM

While adding the Windows Vista drivers uncheck the Windows 7 and Windows XP drivers in the boot package.

Regards,

Prasanna Rajagopalan

• 9.  RE: Symantec Ghost and Dell Optiplex 780

Posted Jul 27, 2010 04:05 PM

I added the Vista specific drivers and it is now seeing my DHCP.  Thanks, now I just have to find out why my ghost cast keeps erroring out at the client side.

Stupid Murphy and his law.......

• 10.  RE: Symantec Ghost and Dell Optiplex 780

Posted Jul 28, 2010 04:53 AM
    Happy to hear that adding the Vista drivers fixed your issue. Were you able to image successfully ??

Regards,

Prasanna Rajagopalan