Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
  • 1.  Symantec Ghost Solution Suite 11.5

Posted Jan 31, 2009 01:15 AM

Hi,

I had configured PXE Boot Server using Symantec Ghost Solution Suite. Please tell me how i can configure the DHCP Service, so that the client recieves the Boot file.

Thanks

Murali.

• 2.  RE: Symantec Ghost Solution Suite 11.5

Posted Dec 21, 2009 01:17 AM
    Hai ,

My requriement is installalling a application software and some softwares (i.e  winzip, adobe ms-access, sql server 2005) into 1400 laptops using wi-fi . Is it possible. 

I read some articles , they are telling it is possible by using  cloning or disc imaging.

1.client system including   
            Windows 7 operating system
             sql server 2005
             ms access
            winzip
           adobe

This softwares(without windows 7 operating system) is installed in 1400 laptops remotely using WI-FI.

• 3.  RE: Symantec Ghost Solution Suite 11.5

Posted Dec 21, 2009 05:36 PM
    It is customary to start a new thread when opening a new issue, to avoid confusion.

Cloning or disk imaging is appropriate for building new machines where you are installing the operating system and the basic core applications required by your environment.
    It is uncommon to do this over a wi fi link as a bare metal machine has no way of connecting to a wi fi access point natively, which means you need to provide a boot disk which has wi fi drivers so that the image source can be contacted and an image downloaded. Wi Fi is also slower than a wired NIC and therefore deploying a multi-Gb image this way is very time consuming.

If you are looking for a way of installing applications to a corporate system of 1400 laptops which already have an operating system installed, then you need to look at software distribution systems such as Altiris NS or DS. or equivalent software from Microsoft (SMS or SCCM).

• 4.  RE: Symantec Ghost Solution Suite 11.5

Posted Dec 21, 2009 05:44 PM
    Hi,

Although i do not know which PXE services you are running i can help you understand the PXE process and select the DHCP configuration you need so your PXE clients can properly join your boot server in your network environment.

Introduction:

The PXE boot process usually starts by broadcasting the network to both get a dynamic ip and a PXE boot image We call it EXTENDED DHCP DISCOVERY initialized on port 67/UDP. Why extended?: because the request contains an option that identifies the machine as a PXE client.

If the DHCP server is also the PXE server then the boot image file information will be sent to the client on port 68/UDP (Client dhcp port). The answer is usually called (EXTENDED DHCP OFFER) If the DHCP server is not the PXE server then it will notify the PXE Client to look up for PXE Server also called Proxy DHCP. A proxy DHCP is a server running only the PXE services. The client will then broadcast an EXTENDED DHCP DISCOVERY request across the network on port 4011/UDD to find the PROXY DHCP which will deliver the boot image information. 

Once the PXE Server has been found and all necessary PXE image information passed on properly to the client, the latter will initialize a TFTP connection on port 69/UDP to retrieve the boot mage file.

This introduction on the PXE boot mecanism might sound a bit boring but believe me it can help troubleshooting any communication issues It can also help you determine the configuration you need in your network infrastructure. (ie: if your PROXY DHCP is placed behind a firewall or router  your PXE client might not retrieved the boot image properly as broadcast packets are rejected by those devices. Refer to Solution C)

Let step forward to the DHCP configuration. You have three possible configurations:

Configuration A: If your PXE Services are installed on the same box as your DHCP server

Simply add 'Option 60' to your DHCP scope options. This option will allow your DHCP server to answer to EXTENDED DHCP REQUESTS by providing the PXE boot image information. When you setup your PXE services the installation usually does the job for you and automatically configures your DHCP server with he correct option.

Configuration B: If your PXE Services are running on a standalone computer

You do not need to configure anything on your DHCP server. Just let the DHCP mecanism force your PXE clients to look up for another PXE Server. Also, make sure that the standalone machine running the PXE Services does not block ports 4011 and 69. Just modify the firewall settings of the machine.

Note: A communication issue can occur if your standalone PXE Server is located behind a firewall or a router. All PXE Client broadcast requests on port 4011/UDP will be blocked by your firewall or router. In this case setup your device to let these requests go through. If your device does not allow it or your company policy is not flexible then apply Configuration C.

Configuration C: Alternate Configuration

The alternate configuration which is my favorite is the one that i recommend

- Add option 66 to your DHCP scope options: ip or name of your PXE Server (machine running at least tftp services)
    - Add option 67 to your DHCP scope options:name of your boot image file also called bootstrap file such as tthe mba.pxe used by 3com PXE Services, or pxeboot.n12 to boot up winpe. (the boostrap file or PXE Menu is the first file downloaded by a PXE client.

By setting these options you just bypass all the broadcast process and numbers of requests which are just bandwidth consumers. By setting these options you manually provide your PXE Clients  with the PXE boot image information needed and skip the PXE discovery process. With the information provided the PXE client will just have to open a tftp connection to the PXE server to retrieve the boot image file. To achieve the transaction, the PXE client therefore needs the name of the boot image file (option 67) and the ip or name of the PXE Server (or tftp server as the PXE services are no longer needed. A basic machine can host a tftp server containing the boot image files)

At last, by setting these options you avoid any additional configuration on your firewall or router as your PXE clients no longer broadcast the network to discover the PXE services.

Hope it helps!!!