Client Management Suite

View Only
  • 1.  Symantec Installation Manager on 2008 r2 ?

Posted Mar 22, 2011 04:05 AM

Hi!

I have been working with implementing, the full Altiris 6.9 Client Management Solution. I wanted to use the Symantec Installation Manager, but apparently it is not supported, on Windows 2008 R2 servers.

Are there any ways, to make this full solution work on 2008 R2? 

Or am i destined to keep running it, on my 2003 x64?

Regards

David Grønborg 

• 2.  RE: Symantec Installation Manager on 2008 r2 ?

Posted Mar 22, 2011 08:55 AM

Hi David,

The versions of Client Management Suite are 6, 7 and 7.1, that is the most recently. The version of SIM (Symantec Instalation Manager) that support the CMS Installation for Windows 2008 R2 is the 7.1 version. This version you can download in a Trialware link: http://www.symantec.com/business/client-management-suite

Regards,

• 3.  RE: Symantec Installation Manager on 2008 r2 ?
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 22, 2011 10:22 AM

David,

"Altiris 6.9" seems to defer to Deployment Solution, which is a stand-alone solution that can run on most flavors of Windows Server 2003, 2008, and 2008 R2:
    http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=DOC2079

"Client Management Solution" does not have a 6.9 release.  The current releases are CMS 7.0 and CMS 7.1.  CMS 7.0 must be installed along with Symantec Management Platform (SMP) 7.0, and CMS 7.1 must be installed with SMP 7.1.  SMP 7.0 must run on Windows Server 2003 32-bit, and SMP 7.1 must run on Windows Server 2008 R2 64-bit.  The same Symantec Installation Manager (SIM) version is used to install either version of SMP on their respective servers.

Does this answer your question?

• 4.  RE: Symantec Installation Manager on 2008 r2 ?

Posted Mar 23, 2011 05:14 AM

Hi Guys

Thanks for the reply, and yes it answers my question.

I have had a rough time, seeing through all the solutions. The one we have purchased is the Client Management Suite 7.0 

And this is what i want installed on a 2008 R2 server. So i will try with the 7.1 SIM !

Thanks again !

Regards

David Grønborg

• 5.  RE: Symantec Installation Manager on 2008 r2 ?

Posted Mar 23, 2011 08:41 AM

A boatload of useful documentation was collected here as well:
    https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/altiris-endpoint-management-migrations-and-upgrades-71-0

I'd start with the 7.1 Planning and Implementation Guide, then read Installing the Symantec Management Platform Products, review the Symantec Management Platform Support Matrix (and bookmark it!), review the Symantec Management Platform Architecture and Design Concepts and Capacity Planning, then read the notes on configuring SQL for SMP.

It might sound like a waste of time when you just want to hurry up and go.  But it really is valuable in understanding the product.  You sound like you'd like to know where to go for more information so I hope this helps.

• 6.  RE: Symantec Installation Manager on 2008 r2 ?

Posted Mar 24, 2011 02:54 AM

Thank you again mclemson ! ;)

Yes it helps me a whole lot! thanks for the good and fast help :)

Regards

David