Messaging Gateway

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Symantec Mail Box Appliance 8320 (Need Solution)

• 1.  Symantec Mail Box Appliance 8320 (Need Solution)

Posted Aug 14, 2009 06:50 AM
    How to join these appliance to connect exchange  server2003?I put these appliance between firewall and mail server.I check in dashboard there nothing to see working. I read the instruction and  configure these appliance to CONTROL CENTER AND SCANNER. But it seen that nothing is running.do i miss something to configure?Please show me the way to fix it.

• 2.  RE: Symantec Mail Box Appliance 8320 (Need Solution)

Posted Aug 14, 2009 06:55 AM
    One more thing left ,(how to insert the cable for that appliance)? I put 2 of these cable to put it into the same switch hub.Exchange 2003 server in the same switch.

• 3.  RE: Symantec Mail Box Appliance 8320 (Need Solution)

Posted Aug 17, 2009 11:03 AM

Have you gone through the "Getting Started Guide" and the more detailed "Installation Guide" for Symantec Brightmail Gateway?  You can find copies of the documents on this page: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/overview.jsp?pid=53991

These documents have detailed instructions on how to properly configure the appliance.

If you have purchased the product, you can also call support with specific installation issues.

• 4.  RE: Symantec Mail Box Appliance 8320 (Need Solution)

Posted Aug 18, 2009 03:05 AM
    1).How to test this appliance is working or not?
    2).i set eth1 to internal ip address and eth2 to external ip address,is that correct?

• 5.  RE: Symantec Mail Box Appliance 8320 (Need Solution)

Posted Aug 19, 2009 02:07 AM
    hello all
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=KG3D8ZWV

This link is how i set my appliance.

1). I don't get any message flow in symantec mail box appliance dashboard.
    2).If i set these appliance in wrong place, pls show me the way to put these appliance.

pls help me.

• 6.  RE: Symantec Mail Box Appliance 8320 (Need Solution)

Posted Aug 20, 2009 03:06 AM
    Does the MX-records of your domain point towards the IP-address of eth2 (as you assigned it an external ip-adress. By external I suppose a public IP-address which can be reached from the internet). What happens when you telnet on port 25 on the IP-address of eth2 when connected on an outside network (e.g. from home). Test it with following command "telnet IP_ADDRESS _ETH2_or_MX-RECORD 25"

Is there a firewall that might intercept/block incoming traffic.

From which source addresses do you accept incoming mail, it should be set to ANY.

The way you placed it in your network, should make it work.

Dries

• 7.  RE: Symantec Mail Box Appliance 8320 (Need Solution)

Posted Aug 20, 2009 03:24 AM
    Or all the processes running? More specific the scanner and MTA for accepting and processing mails.
    You can check it on the "dashboard > hosts > software and services" and from "administration > configuration > click the host". When you go through administration you should also verify the MTA Operation status and make sure it is set to "accept and deliver messages normally".

• 8.  RE: Symantec Mail Box Appliance 8320 (Need Solution)

Posted Aug 20, 2009 10:36 PM
    here is how i configure at symantec mail box security 8320 appliance.
    Adminstration-host-configuration-domain-SMTP

mail filtering- inbound mail filtering only
    Inbound mail setting- Ethernet 192.xxx.xx.xx  port 25
    Inbound mail acceptance- Accept inboung mail connection form all ip address
    Inbound  local mail delivery- my exchange server ip and port is 25
    Inbound non-local mail delivery- my exchange server ip and port 25

Administration-host-configuration-domain-Ethernet

Ethernet interface 1 only
    I not configure ethernet 2

Internet mail hosts
    My exchange server ip

protocol tab
     domain tab-I add email address of my exchange server user and ip address and port of exchange server

I check the host and all the service is running.
    I already create group and add the email address for user
    that all i configure in symantec mail box security and i didn't get any mail pass through that appliance.
    Is there anybody if you have time please help and fix this error for me.
    Thank you for anybody who assist me.

• 9.  RE: Symantec Mail Box Appliance 8320 (Need Solution)

Posted Aug 21, 2009 05:29 AM
    The IP-address you assigned to the ETH1 interface is probably a private IP-address (192.168.x.y ?), in other words, it won't be directly reachable from the internet. You said earlier that there is a firewall in front of the Brightmail appliance, is it configured to forward mails coming in on its public (or outside) interface to forward those the your scanner?

How was the design BEFORE the antispam gateway entered your network? Did all mails go directly to your Exchange server?

• 10.  RE: Symantec Mail Box Appliance 8320 (Need Solution)

Posted Aug 23, 2009 01:29 AM
    Hi Monkeyhead

Check your  'Router(s)' and ensure that inbound traffic on port 25 (SMTP) is directed to the 'Gateway', then from the Gateway to the SBG appliance's IP address.

To check that the forwarding is correct, perform a telnet session from outside the network, where <public_MX_record> is your public MX record. 
        telnet <public_MX_record> 25
    You should see the following (where <hostname> is the host name used during the configuration:
        220 <hostname> ESMTP Symantec Brightmail Gateway

If you see a response other than the above, the SMTP conversation is not answered by the SBG

Cheers.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    For your public MX record, perform an nslookup (from outside the network):
    nslookup <Enter>
    set q=mx <Enter>
    yourdomain.com <Enter>
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sample lookup on 'gmail.com':

C:\>nslookup
    Default Server:  localhost
    Address:  127.0.0.1

> set q=mx
    > gmail.com
    Server:  localhost
    Address:  127.0.0.1

Non-authoritative answer:
    gmail.com       MX preference = 30, mail exchanger = alt3.gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com
    gmail.com       MX preference = 40, mail exchanger = alt4.gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com
    gmail.com       MX preference = 5, mail exchanger = gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com
    gmail.com       MX preference = 10, mail exchanger = alt1.gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com
    gmail.com       MX preference = 20, mail exchanger = alt2.gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com

• 11.  RE: Symantec Mail Box Appliance 8320 (Need Solution)

Posted Aug 28, 2009 07:30 PM
    Any luck with the configuration Monkeyhead ?

• 12.  RE: Symantec Mail Box Appliance 8320 (Need Solution)

Posted Aug 29, 2009 02:33 AM
    Hi MonkeyHead,

Your requierment is simple but you are making complex,

Pls correct if i am wrong . .
    This is your setup

Firewall >>> Brightmail >>> Mail Server

First clarify us that this all appliance its in same subnet ? If yes

Then if you configuring brightmail IP (Private IP) then you need to NAT with (Public IP) which can be done from firewall for receiving mails from internet and also make sure your mx record is pointed to that publc IP, In bright mail you configure your domain to accept mail and internal mail server to forward all filter mails.

Better you reed getting started guide and admin guide to understand the technology and it will help you configure as per your requierment.