Messaging Gateway

View Only
  • 1.  Symantec Mail Security 8340 device cannot login

Posted Nov 25, 2008 07:35 AM

Hi,

After sudden shutdown to our mail security device & DC yesterday, I started all devices, and all were working fine (but I didn't login to SBG), today I  tray to login as administrator but I failed because of wrong user name or password, I tried as a user but I also failed.

I restarted the device & while booting there was a warning on "SMS synchronization service" but all other services were "OK"

the email is working fine till now,

Please advice,

Thank you.

• 2.  RE: Symantec Mail Security 8340 device cannot login

Posted Nov 25, 2008 09:03 AM

Can you log into the command line interface via SSH or physically on the appliance with the admin password?

I'd be pretty sure the Sync warning wouldn't have anything to do with the issue.

Kevin

• 3.  RE: Symantec Mail Security 8340 device cannot login

Posted Nov 25, 2008 09:15 AM
    I tried physically & through Putty ssh with the admin user name & password but also failed.

• 4.  RE: Symantec Mail Security 8340 device cannot login

Posted Nov 25, 2008 10:06 AM
    To be honest this is really sounding like you are putting in the wrong password...

• 5.  RE: Symantec Mail Security 8340 device cannot login

Posted Nov 25, 2008 11:25 AM
    Thanks for replaying, but the password was the default since we recently install the device & I didn't change it!!

• 6.  RE: Symantec Mail Security 8340 device cannot login

Posted Nov 26, 2008 09:17 AM

Hi Ashraf,

So the default user is 'admin' and default password is 'symantec', but you are forced to change the password after the first login, are you sure you didn't change it?  If you think you kept it as 'symantec' then you are probably best working with Support as I think they can help you recover the password.  If you don't have much information to lose, you might just be better off do a factory restore using the iso image.

Kevin 

• 7.  RE: Symantec Mail Security 8340 device cannot login

Posted Nov 26, 2008 11:50 PM

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for your replay.

Unfortunately I didn't change the password.

I already open a case with Symantec support & waiting for their replay, if there is no solution for such case, your proposal will be the sole solution.

Regards,

Ashraf