Video Screencast Help
Symantec Appoints Michael A. Brown CEO. Learn more.

Symantec Messaging Gateway Alert - Hardware failures (8260)

Created: 30 Mar 2012 | 5 comments

I have an 8260 anti-spam appliance, and I've been recieving the error/email alert notification for awhile now.  The email really explains nothing other than report that there is a hardware failure.  It says "Host: local host", "component: DISK", "Problem: Fail".

Now, let me state that I've lost 2 HDDs before on this very unit, it is hot-swapable and the HDD rebuilt itself without incident.  This was under version 8.x.  So,now the disk has once again failed but this time the appliance is at version 9.5.3-3.  I bought a new (exactly the same) HDD, swapped it out at four days ago.  The LED lights on the physical unit all look okay.  There are NO amber/orange lights flashing as when an error is present.  Everything is green.  So, to me, it looks like it is okay; however, the LEDs for the new HDD don't seem to flash as often as the original HDD (perhaps because it is solely for RAID/mirror).  What concerns me is the email alert notifications which state there's a hardware failure, yet explains nothing about it nor how to remedy this.  My question is this.  What can I do to diagnose the issue?  If Symantec looks up my email addy, they'll see that I've been loyal to them for over a decade.  I hope this issue can be resolved.  maybe the issue lies in the new updates???  I really don't know.  I'm at a loss.  The new drive I'm using is brand new and shouldn't be failed as well.

Any help or advice is GREATLY appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Comments 5 CommentsJump to latest comment

TSE-JDavis's picture

First off, you should know that the 8260 is not supported on version 9.5.3. This server is most likely 6 years old or older by now and does not have the resources to run this software.

Second, this is a Dell appliance, so you would want to go to Dell's support site for hardware troubleshooting. I would suggest downloading their 32-bit diagnostics package, making a USB thumb drive and booting the appliance from it to run a diagnostic. It can be downloaded here:

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/555/Driv...

LordRay's picture

Actually, I didn't now that.  I love when the appliance has updates and lists them, that there's really not a mention about compliance with the 8260.  Unless, of course I missed it.  Well, what does it now mean that the version is updated?  Can I roll it back somehow?  When I perfom a backup, it backs up to the appliance itself, as I don't have an active FTP server atm.  You mentioned 6 years old, and you are correct.  Funny thng is, I'm at a non-profit organization with very limited cash - buying a new appliance is simply not an option.

Regarding the Dell download.  It looks to be an exe.  Thta said, is it the type that I have to extract the contents and then put them on USB, then boot from appliance?  I'm not familiar with Linux.  Thanks for your help.

Subhani's picture

If your company has already invested in  Virtual Infrastructure ,you may wanna Try Brightmail Virtual Edition .It is supported on Vmware ESX and ESXi 4.1.

LordRay's picture

So, in the meantime, I'm screwed from what I gather here.  I have no real funds to invest in much of anything at this stage.  There's no way to roll the updates I applied back to a version that supports my hardware?  I may loom into alternatives if that is the case.Thanks for your help.  Any harware solutions?

cemilebaşak's picture

Hi;

Are you re-construct or add the new disk to the raid ?

Because I faced the same issue on 8380 after I change the failed disk. Web GUI continued give error. I re constructed the and and after that the problem solved. But you may be carefull because after the reconstruction there may be need for new OS installation. ( On my case no need for OS after re constract every thing is ok.)

Regards;

Cemile Denerel BAŞAK

Note: Please mark as solution if its help you.