Symantec NetBackup De-Duplication & SLP issue
I have a typical issue with the Netbackup De-duplication backup and SLP issue. I am not sure whether I have setup the De-duplication correctly and looking forward for your support. Below are the brief details of a setup.
NetBackup Master Server - NBU 18.104.22.168 (running on Windows 2008 R2 SP2)
NetBakcup Media Server - NBU 5320 Appliance & only enabled the De-duplication (backend usable De-dupe size around 4.3TB). This has only storage Unit (STU_DD_UNIT) & tape storage Unit - srv11100-hcart2-tld0
NetBackup Clients - Windows 2008 R2 SP2 (with Exchange 2010, SQL 2008, AD etc)
Policy 1- Exchange-Daily
No SLP policy - the backup is directly taken to disk storage unit STU_DD_UNIT
Policy 2 - Exchange-Monthly
SLP Policy - Monthly-Exchange (Retention on De-duple Disk 6 months & duplication on tape 1 year). No Data Classification
Policy 3 - Exhchange-yearly
SLP Policy - Yearly-Exchange (Retention on De-duple Disk 1 year & duplication on tape 3 years). No Data Classification
I have run the validation check in SLP policy and there is not listed problems. But when I run the backup randomly sometime it runs the Monthly-Exchange SLP policy or sometime Yearly-Exchange policies for the Exchange-Monthly backup policy.
Just would like to have an idea, whether I have setup things correctly. Below are my queries
1) Can we have more the one Storage Life Cycle Policies on single disk storage Unit (de-duplication)?
2) if we can have multiple SLP on disk STU, then can we have the different retention for different policies for the same server?
3) since the different policies will have the different retention on Disk and Tape, will the de-duplication engine have an issue to expire the images, which have multiple retention for the same image?
4) If all the above are not expected setup for the de-dupe and SLP, then what will be the best practice for staging backup. We want to have the disk backup and then stage it to tape (disk and tape will have different retention for seperate policies as mentioned in above example).
5) What is the best practice to have de-duplication? Client Side or Server Side? since we use the NBU 5230 appliance, we are currently using Server side de-duplication.
Appreciate your help and support on this.