Video Screencast Help

Symantec netbackup with Dell PowerVault 124T

Created: 09 Jul 2012 • Updated: 05 Nov 2012 | 14 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Hi friends.

For our project, we are using Dell PowerVault 124T Tape Drive with Symantec Netbackup 7.0 on Redhat Linux 5.

Recently due to some hardware issues, we had to replace our Dell powervault 124T with a new unit. Now, when I am trying to take backup using the previous schedules created on Netbackup, it's not working properly.

Kindly help me to solve this issue.

Thank You

Comments 14 CommentsJump to latest comment

Marianne's picture

More info, please....

Was entire library replaced? Including tape drive(s)?

What steps were performed in NBU to remove old devices and add the new ones (robot and drive(s))?

What errors are you seeing in Activity Monitor?

Supporting Storage Foundation and VCS on Unix and Windows as well as NetBackup on Unix and Windows
Handy NBU Links

girish_nair1984's picture

1.Was entire library replaced? Including tape drive(s)?

The Entire Dell Powervault 124T unit was replaced, only LTO-3 tapes were given back to us.

2.What steps were performed in NBU to remove old devices and add the new ones (robot and drive(s))?

Only the services were stopped, the unit was disconnected from the main backup server, the terminator was removed. The new unit was then connected to backup server with terminator connected to it.

3.What errors are you seeing in Activity Monitor?

STATUS CODE 830: "All compatible drive paths are down, but media is available".

Marianne's picture

The devices will have new serial numbers.

You need to delete old devices - drive(s) and robot.

Re-add devices using the device config wizard.

Perform robot inventory to update media location.

Do test-backup.

Supporting Storage Foundation and VCS on Unix and Windows as well as NetBackup on Unix and Windows
Handy NBU Links

Amaan's picture

You can use tpautoconf -report_disc command to check the discremancy in the configuration. When you see the difference, you should use same command with option -replace_drive; -replace_robot;

mansoor.sheik's picture

Hi,

I have one doubt, If i want to replace any drive or library, Is it mandatory to stop the Netbackup Service ?

Hi.

I used this command tpautoconf -report_disc  and found out that there was no discremancy in the configuration.

To start with I inserted one tape inside the left magazine and created a schedule to perform manual backup and it was successful. I was also able to restore the file from tape .

Later on I inserted remaining 7 tapes inside the left magazine and run the inventory robot to detect all tapes.

Now, when I tried to take manual backup again, it's showing me this error message.

(2009): All compatible drive paths are down, but media is available".

Kindly help.

Marianne's picture

You need to troubleshoot the reason for the DOWN drive(s).

Please do the following:

Add VERBOSE entry to <install-path>\veritas\volmgr\vm.conf

Restart NBU Device Management service.

All Media Manager activities will now be logged to Event Viewer System and Application logs.

After doing the above, use Device Monitor to UP the drive(s). If it goes DOWN again, please check Event Viewer System and Application logs.

Also create <install-path>\veritas\netbackup\logs\bptm folder for NBU tape management troubleshooting.

Handy NBU Links

Can you please tell me, How to add Add VERBOSE entry to <install-path>\veritas\volmgr\vm.conf

Marianne's picture

Open the file with a Text Editor (e.g. Notepad) and type VERBOSE on a new line.

Example:

MM_SERVER_NAME = <server-name>
VERBOSE

Handy NBU Links

Hi.

What I did is I went to Device Monitor , then up drive .

Later on it showed me this error.

status 96 unable to allocate new media for backup storage unit has none available.

I deleted the old policy and created a new policy, and I was able to take backup's. But this is only temporary solution, I think, the drive shouldn't go down regularly.

Is there any solution for this?

Thank You

Marianne's picture

Correct . You need to find the reason for drive going down.... See my post above......  

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/sym...

Handy NBU Links

SOLUTION

Thank You friends for your support. I really appreciate it :):)

Marianne's picture

PLEASE let us know when you find more info in Event Viewer logs?

We would like to see your problem solved....

Handy NBU Links

Hi.

We have 2 magazines, left magazine with  8 tapes and empty right magazine. I would like to know how can we identify the data written on the which tapes.

Can I segregate tapes according to the policies created, Like , we have 8 servers to be backed up on daily, monthly basis, so we created 8 different policies. Can I assign each tape for each policies created.