Protection Suite Enterprise Edition

View Only
  • 1.  Symantec Protection Center 2 installation on Windows 2008 R2 Standard

Posted Aug 03, 2011 11:29 AM

All the documentation I can find states you need the Microsoft Windows Server Core 2008 R2 edition. We have volume licensing for Standard and Datacenter. Will there be an issue installing it to the Standard edition?

This is on a VMware ESX server.

Thanks in advance!

• 2.  RE: Symantec Protection Center 2 installation on Windows 2008 R2 Standard

Posted Aug 03, 2011 11:31 AM

Sorry, forgot to add the "Web". All the documentation says Web edition.

• 3.  RE: Symantec Protection Center 2 installation on Windows 2008 R2 Standard

Posted Aug 08, 2011 02:20 PM

Hello!

As far as I know, Windows Server 2008 R2 Web Core is the only officially supported OS for SPC 2.0 production install. I believe installer has a check for Web Core edition of the OS and will not let you use disk with Standard edition.

Best regards,

Vadim

• 4.  RE: Symantec Protection Center 2 installation on Windows 2008 R2 Standard

Posted Jan 02, 2012 05:57 AM

I think the Wiindows licensing downgradable....you may check with Microsoft on this.

For example, you can downgrade Windows 7 license  to Windows XP. not sure about server.

Thank you.

• 5.  RE: Symantec Protection Center 2 installation on Windows 2008 R2 Standard

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 25, 2012 10:39 AM

The Windows 2008 R2 Volume DVD usually contains Enterprise, Standard, Data Center, and Web editions all on the same media. You get two keys. One will activate Enterprise, Standard, and Web (Core), the other Data Center.

Only the 2008 R2 Web NON SP1 version of Windows will install with Protection Center successfully.

Regards

• 6.  RE: Symantec Protection Center 2 installation on Windows 2008 R2 Standard

Posted Jun 21, 2012 04:56 PM

When doing our protection center install it asked for Windows Server 2008 R2 media.  It wouldn't take the SP1 version but seemed to work find with Windows Server 2008 R2 (with no SP1).  Once the system was up and running I see that it actually installed the web server R2 version off windows server.  The problem I'm having now is that the MAK key we use to activate windows (for Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard) is not working when trying activate windows for the Web Server version of Windows Server that Symantec Protection Center requires.  I spoke with MS Volume License Support, MS Customer Support, MS Professional Support, and MS Activations Department.  No one at Microsoft could help me activate windows on this system.  I kept getting product key invalid message.

• 7.  RE: Symantec Protection Center 2 installation on Windows 2008 R2 Standard

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 21, 2012 05:19 PM

Hey Geektitude!

If you go to the Technical Support Link from the main product page (http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=landing&key=60247) you will find the answers to your issues.

We have some signed scripts there that will allow you to do the windows activation.

Are you using a Proxy Server? If so, this is a known microsoft issue. No product activation through authenticated proxy servers. If not, there are some other things going on.

You want to use these (and possibly other) articles:

KNOWN ISSUES: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&key=60247&channel=TECHNICAL_SOLUTION&basecat=KNOWN_ISSUE&sort=recent

Troubleshooting Windows Activation Settings

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH173963&key=60247&basecat=KNOWN_ISSUE&actp=LIST

Go to the TECH176835  link and download the powershells that will allow you to activate.

Make sure to use the same key you use for the Enterprise and Standard Activations. The other key you have should be for the Data Center only activation.

If you need help with this call Symantec Support. (But the above information is the same thing they would use on your system).

Regards