Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Symantec SEPM 12.1.5 and huge "\Inetpub\content\TempCache\" Folder

Posted Jun 02, 2015 10:26 AM

Hi all,

I just saw on my SEPM 12.1.5 server that folder "\Inetpub\content\TempCache" is 11Gbytes,
    where the whole "\Inetpub\content\" folder is 15Gbytes.

As we are a company with a lot of agencies all over the world, connected to the company network with slow xDSL lines, we set the rentention to 180 content revisions, in order to get 3 months retention ( 2 revisions by day by experience ).

Will this folder "TempCache" grow and use the whole space on the disk ?
    Is there a Symantec process that free space from that "TempCache" folder ?

Could you explain me how it works ?
    I know this Folder is used by SEPM Server to aggregate Delta defs and give only one aggregate delta file to download for old sep clients...
    but how long SEPM server will keep those aggregate files in the "TempCache" Folder ?

Second question : is it possible to have a retention more than 180 content revisions defs ? 
    I cannot put a value more than 180 in the "Disk SPace Management for Downloads/Nulber of content revisions to keep".
    Would be helpful sometimes in my company to prevent from downloading huge full revisions on small xdsl lines ! ( GUP are not always usable on small agencies ! )

Regards.
    MrPochpoch.

• 2.  RE: Symantec SEPM 12.1.5 and huge "\Inetpub\content\TempCache\" Folder

Posted Jun 02, 2015 02:02 PM

What are the timestamps on the folder?

It could be the new change in content structure:

FAQ: Core 1.5 definitions for Endpoint Protection 12.1

• 3.  RE: Symantec SEPM 12.1.5 and huge "\Inetpub\content\TempCache\" Folder

Posted Jun 03, 2015 03:40 AM

HI, i just checked the folder timestamps.
    Every file and folder have been created today or yesterday.
    There are no file or folder with a timestamp older than 24 hours.

Seems the size of that "Tempcache" Folder varies widely.
    I suppose it depends on the number of SEP clients asking for updates, and the different situations encountered ( sep client protection definition version to update, 32 bits ot 64 bits sep client, ... ).

I think this situation is a problem for my company, as SEP clients downloads with old protection definition version will download directly from SEPM server huge update package, which has been made especially for the sep client by the sepm server : all xdelta update packages needed are added into one update package, which will be useful only for the SEP client that asked it.

Another SEP client in the same place, but with another protection definition, will have to download another "xdelta concatinated" update package from the SEPM server, as it will not be present on the GUP.

So, those 2 SEP clients will overconsum my WAN network in order to update... because they will download from SEPM server 2 different xdelta concatenated update packages.

Question :

Is there a way to set SEPM in order to provide only individual xdelta to SEP clients, instead of "concatenated" update packages ?
    SEP clients could then be updated gradually, individual xdelta update package one by one ... and xdelta individual packages could be stored on the GUP, in order to limit wan network use...

Regards,
    MrPochpoch.

• 4.  RE: Symantec SEPM 12.1.5 and huge "\Inetpub\content\TempCache\" Folder

Posted Jun 03, 2015 04:15 PM

Is there a way to set SEPM in order to provide only individual xdelta to SEP clients, instead of "concatenated" update packages ?
    SEP clients could then be updated gradually, individual xdelta update package one by one ... and xdelta individual packages could be stored on the GUP, in order to limit wan network use...

Interesting idea ... but no, you can only get one big package (delta file) with all the missing content. 

Would be helpful sometimes in my company to prevent from downloading huge full revisions on small xdsl lines ! ( GUP are not always usable on small agencies ! )

The new SEP version 12.1.6 has new features which may be interesting for you:

• It's possible to create notifications if full downloads happen
    • You can completely prevent full downloads from SEPM (but that's more a troubleshooting thing, and you can only enable it for the whole SEPM instead of groups).
    • Even more interesting, you can enable the clients to download delta files from Symantec LiveUpdate server if your SEPM is only able to provide full downloads (Policies > LiveUpdate > LiveUpdate Settings Policy > Windows Settings/Advanced Settings > Let clients download smaller packages from a LiveUpdate server). Of course your clients must have a decent internet connection.

See here:

Symantec™ Endpoint Protection 12.1.6 Release Notes

http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC8652 (click on "Attachment")

BTW, GUPs seem perfect for you ... as long as your agencies have computers running most of the time.

• 5.  RE: Symantec SEPM 12.1.5 and huge "\Inetpub\content\TempCache\" Folder

Posted Jun 04, 2015 04:19 AM

Interesting idea ... but no, you can only get one big package (delta file) with all the missing content. 

Hope it will be possible in a future version. Would be nice to choose between "incremental" update and "differential" update.

The new SEP version 12.1.6 has new features which may be interesting for you:

• It's possible to create notifications if full downloads happen
    • You can completely prevent full downloads from SEPM (but that's more a troubleshooting thing, and you can only enable it for the whole SEPM instead of groups).
    • Even more interesting, you can enable the clients to download delta files from Symantec LiveUpdate server if your SEPM is only able to provide full downloads (Policies > LiveUpdate > LiveUpdate Settings Policy > Windows Settings/Advanced Settings > Let clients download smaller packages from a LiveUpdate server). Of course your clients must have a decent internet connection

I already made a script to check for full downloads from SEPManager ( i am looking for "full.zip" in the logs ).

We will check this new release 12.1.6.

Regards.
    MrPochpoch