Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Symantec Solutions Suite error #1516 during Imaging

• 1.  Symantec Solutions Suite error #1516 during Imaging

Posted Dec 15, 2011 01:44 PM

Hello fellow Symantec users,

I have been trying to create an image in solutions suite and have been constantly getting a error message. The error message says "partition improperly dismounted." I have tried the CHKDSK repair option, and have tried numerous fixes on websites around the web. I have also tried running this from different computers within the company and it seems to be knocking back the same error message on every computer. We're currently running windows xp 32 bit edition, If I could be pointed in the right direction of fixing this issue it would be greatly appreciated. 

Many Thanks

• 2.  RE: Symantec Solutions Suite error #1516 during Imaging

Posted Dec 15, 2011 03:54 PM

Can you tell us the exact version of Ghost Solution Suite you are using?

• 3.  RE: Symantec Solutions Suite error #1516 during Imaging

Posted Dec 15, 2011 04:07 PM

Ghost Solutions Suite 2.5

Yeah works about over for today, but if we could figure out a possible workaround for tomorrow it would be great.

• 4.  RE: Symantec Solutions Suite error #1516 during Imaging

Posted Dec 15, 2011 05:18 PM

Is it 2.5.1 build 2266 or an earlier version?  If you have an earlier version, please use LiveUpdate to bring your version up to build 2266.

• 5.  RE: Symantec Solutions Suite error #1516 during Imaging

Posted Dec 16, 2011 09:41 AM

Cool, where exactly would the build information be located?

• 6.  RE: Symantec Solutions Suite error #1516 during Imaging

Posted Dec 16, 2011 09:44 AM

I finally got to checking the build version and it was already updated to the latest build, is there any other possible things that could be causing this issue? 

• 7.  RE: Symantec Solutions Suite error #1516 during Imaging

Posted Dec 16, 2011 10:32 AM

1. At which point do you get that error exactly? Only in the ghosterr.log.txt or on the client screen as well?
    2. Do we have one drive with one partition or are there more? (Hidden partition)
    3. Any encryption in use for that drive, partition or application data on it?
    4. is there any application at all running on this client machines with special access to the drive or part of it?
    5. Any kind of software or hardware RAID involved?
    6. Does it only happen if the image creation task has been started from the console?
        a. Any difference if you boot locally with a CD\USB medium?
        b. Does WinPE get access to the HDD at all?

• 8.  RE: Symantec Solutions Suite error #1516 during Imaging

Posted Dec 16, 2011 11:30 AM

1) when creating the image, i get to about 7% and it freezes up.

2) one drive with one parition. Have run chkdsk and tried some partition software, neither worked.

3) no encryption in use

4) nope i wiped the machines and did a fresh xp install, it's happening on multiple machines though, all machines are mapped to the network already. 

5) no raid according to the bios, there was automated backups but that was server side.

6)It happens when the image creation task has been started from a bootable device or from the actual machines, it is being saved to a device on the network and worked fine with our prior imaging software imagecast. We use everything else symantec and are trying to get this up and running by next week.

• 9.  RE: Symantec Solutions Suite error #1516 during Imaging

Posted Dec 16, 2011 12:25 PM

This problem appears consistent with incorrect switch configuration. Please check that IGMP and IGMP snooping are enabled.

• 10.  RE: Symantec Solutions Suite error #1516 during Imaging

Posted Dec 16, 2011 12:53 PM

If you can do a local boot and save the image to a usb drive then you know ghost can see the system ok and can build an image ok but some thing on the network is causeing the issue.

You may need to update the drivers that ghost is using, you may need to work with correcting a network switch issue as Ed has noted.    Build a new boot disk that maps a network drive to the server and then try to save the image to the mapped drive  this will eliminate the ghost casting and will just use standard micrososft technoligy if the local image worked and then this fails it is likely you need newer drivers in your windows pe disk that you are using.  

You can search these forums for how to updated your boot disk, there are a lot of posts here on that, because newer drivers are released all the time.

cheers.

• 11.  RE: Symantec Solutions Suite error #1516 during Imaging

Posted Dec 16, 2011 02:30 PM

Alright, i will update you guys on monday, guy who maintains certain aspects of the IT department isn't here. Thanks for the help thus far