Video Screencast Help
Protect Your POS Environment Against Retail Data Breaches. Learn More.

Symantec System Recovery 2013 - unable to backup.

Created: 22 Jan 2013 • Updated: 31 Jan 2013 | 24 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Downloaded and installed SSR 2013 without any problem.

Windows 8 Pro, Intel i7, nVidia GTX670, backup ource 230GB SSD, backup target 3GB HD, all as used with Ghost 15 0n windows 7 with no problems.

Unable to back up. 

When attempting backup with SSR2013, program starts by calculating 'time remaining' as usual but then fails, stating there is not enough room on target disk (on a nearly empty 3GB HD!).

Error message:

-Error E4F3000E: Snapshot failure while using Volume Shadow Copy Service. Please check application event log for VSS errors. Error code: VSS_E_INSUFFICIENT_STORAGE (-2147212513).

(UMI:V-281-1267-14)

Any ideas?

Comments 24 CommentsJump to latest comment

Markus Koestler's picture

Try to set the VSS shadow storage per volume to unlimited:

by using vssadmin Resize ShadowStorage

*** Please mark thread as solved if you consider this to have answered your question(s) ***

PravinAmin's picture

Reposting my original comments again:

Hi Robert,

This is slightly unrelated to size of disk drive or partition. The VSS shadowstorage size is set to 300 MB by default. VSS snapshoting is also used by other applications which captures snapshots. If such old snapshots are not deleted and new snapshot is tried, it may exceed the defined snapshot storage area causing the VSS error that you observed. The snapshot size in some cases itself bigger than shadowstorage limit resulting in the error.

Please run following command as Administrator to check the shadow storage details

vssadmin list shadowstorage

You can also resize the shadowstorage using

vssadmin Resize ShadowStorage command.

Please check the shadowstorage limit for System Reserved drive as well.

Alternately, you can set the shadowstorage size from System Properties -->Advanced->System Protection

-Thanks,

Pravin

tac1's picture

Forgot to mention, but is SSR 2013 requirment re. ShadowStorage fundementally different to Ghost 15?

Ghost 15 works perfectly well on this machine and only reason I am trying SSR is that Ghost 15i s not fully compatible with windows 8 (cannot be registered).

Thanks

PravinAmin's picture

Yes...there are changes in ssr 2013 compared to norton ghost 15. Also, ghost is not compatible with Windows 8.

PravinAmin's picture

Hi Robert,

Have you changed the shadowstorage of System Reserved (BCD) partition?

-Thanks,

Pravin

PravinAmin's picture

Can you change the shadowstorage value of BCD partition and set its destination to C: and try backup again?

tac1's picture

System Reserved drive now set to full SSD (223GB) on C drive - will change back to 15% tomorrow.  If overly full with existing snapshots I was under impression that any new shot would overwrite earlier info.

No change - fails with same error message.

Perhaps it might be easier to revert to Win7 & Ghost 15! angry

Andy H.'s picture

Can you try this: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&pmv=print&impressions=&viewlocale=&id=TECH200584

Andy Horlacher

Please mark this thread as 'solved' if it answers your question

Have you been able to sort out the issue ?

*** Please mark thread as solved if you consider this to have answered your question(s) ***

So then mark your solution as solved ;-)

DJost's picture

I am receiving a similar message concerning Snapshot but mine is related to Volume Shadow Copy Service. I have just recently installed Symantec System Recovery 2013, upgrading from 2010. I have not been able to back up my server since the install.Error message below:

Snapshot failure while using Volume Shadow Copy Service. Please check application event log for VSS errors. Error code: EndCreateSnapshotSer (-2147212529)

Clicking on more details gives me the following:

-Error E4F3000E: Snapshot failure while using Volume Shadow Copy Service. Please check application event log for VSS errors. Error code: EndCreateSnapshotSer (-2147212529)

(UMI:V-281-1267-14)

I am running this on a server running Windows Server 2008 R2-Standard SP1. Intel Xeon E5520@2.27GHz with 16 GB of memory.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

dnoordzy's picture

I also have this problem.  I have upgraded two servers running 2008 and 2008R2 from System Recovery 2011 to System Recovery 2013. 

Both servers are now not backing up with the same VSS error.  I have tried the suggested solutions as above but no success.  About to uninstall 2013 as it looks like a common problem.

From Symantec log

Error EC8F17B7: Cannot create recovery points for job: Drive Backup of System Reserved (*:\), (C:\), Data (D:\).
 Error E4F3000E: Snapshot failure while using Volume Shadow Copy Service. Please check application event log for VSS errors. Error code: EndCreateSnapshotSet (-2147212529). (UMI:V-281-3215-6071)

Details:
Source: Symantec System Recovery

From Windows app log

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Error calling a routine on a Shadow Copy Provider {b5946137-7b9f-4925-af80-51abd60b20d5}. Routine details EndPrepareSnapshots({5122f3d1-50c2-41be-9f4d-c450d74049c0}) [hr = 0x80042302, A Volume Shadow Copy Service component encountered an unexpected error.

Check the Application event log for more information.

tac1's picture

dnoordzy

Bit of a shame really; I have run Symantec products for several years but SSR 2013 just will not work on my current setup.  All suggested solutions have been to no avail.  One can waste only so much time.

Still needing backup functionality I have uninstalled SSR 2013 and now use a competitor product (which works just as well, if not better).

Best of luck.

DJost's picture

I ended up going back to 2011 on that server. I have three others all running Server 2008 R2 Standard, same as my problem server, that are working fine. All checks of the VSS turn up that it is running properly so the issue has to be with SSR 2013 on that server for some reason.

PravinAmin's picture

Hi,

Can you please open a support case and share the logs to analyse the issue here? Please let me know the support case no to expediate the resolution.

-Thanks,

Pravin

dnoordzy's picture

Pravin, I have opened a new case number xxxx (edited).  

I have uninstalled 2013 on one server and reinstalled 2011 which is now working.  It is unfortunate as this is the one symantec backup software which I have never had a problem with (we also run backup exec 2012 which has constant problems and basically requires constant hand holding).  I upgraded 4 servers in total and all four have the same vss writer error which I posted above.  Although I opened a case, I have no choice at the moment but to downgrade to 2011.

PravinAmin's picture

Hi,

Thanks for opening case. I'll try to get its resolution as fast as I can.

-Thanks,

Pravin

Andy H.'s picture

I have this case in my queue and have it as a priority. I'll update this forum as we find a solution.

Andy Horlacher

Please mark this thread as 'solved' if it answers your question

TRaj's picture

Some Solutions to get the error resolved as as below

1. Enable the "Shadow Copies" on the drivers you are trying to backup and run the backup , it works

2. Check if there is a Third party software like "Windows Backup" running along with SSR 2013 , which is quising the backup , change the schedule for any of the products and run the backup , it works

We are requesting you to mark the forums as Solution , so that is makes easier for the viewer to search and refer the posts with "Solutions"

DJost's picture

"Shadow Copies" are enabled and I am not running "Windows Backup".

Since I have uninstalled 2013 and have reinstalled 2011 I am not sure that there will be any logs available to look at but if you can tell me where they may be located I will take a look and post them for you and see if they tell you anything.