Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

System Recovery 2011 Server Edition - Restoring SBS 2008 Restore Anywhere Option

Created: 11 Feb 2013 | 3 comments

I have a DELL Server that I have backed up with Symantec System Recovery.  I am attempting to restore it to different hardware to test the migration of a new server.

There are 4 partitions on the original server

DELL Utility - hidden partition

C:\  Operating system

D:\ Data Drive

E:\ Exchange

The last instructions I received from Symantec Support was this:

Clean the drives

Boot to the Recovery Disk and recover the DELL Utility partition first with the following options:

- Set Drive Active (OS)

- Restore Master Boot Record

- Restore Anywhere - Hidden option of DELETE existing Drivers selected

Prompt for drivers NOT SELECTED

Run Mini Setup NOT SELECTED

After restoring the Utility partition I restored the remaining drives with the following options:

Restore Original Disk Signature

Restore Anywhere - Hidden option of DELETE existing Drivers selected

Prompt for drivers NOT SELECTED

Run mini Setup NOT SELECTED

After all the remaining drivers were restored I attempted a reboot but the machine just booted to the DELL Utility Partition that had the DELL Diagnostics Screen.

I'm not sure what to do next.  Should I restore the DELL Utility Partition first, with the Restore Original Disk Signature option, then the C:\ drive with Restore MBR and Set Active, Restore Anywhere, DELETE drivers, then the other two partitions with Restore Original Disk Signature and Restore Anywhere?

Comments 3 CommentsJump to latest comment

TRaj's picture

Please check which partition contains the system files "Dell Utility" or "C:"

In case Dell Utility does not contain any system files you can follow the below steps :

Select Dell Utility and NOT select any of the options : Set drive active , restore mbr , restore original disk signature and select RAO

Then Select  C: and select the options "Set drive active" and "Restore MBR" and RAO. 

Then Select D: and select only "restore original disk Signature" and restore E: using the same option.

Refer : http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH159179 

Please mark thread as solved if you consider this to have answered your question(s)

We are requesting you to mark the forums as Solution , so that is makes easier for the viewer to search and refer the posts with "Solutions"

DeveloperMM's picture

The C:\ drive definitely contains the operating system files.   I will try what you have suggested.  Just to confirm, I should use the Restore Anywhere Option on the DELL Utility Drive?  Also, should I make any changes to the hidden Restore Anywhere Options?  1. Delete Drivers 2. Prompt for Drivers 3. Run Windows Mini Setup.?

TRaj's picture

Yes use the Restore Anywgere Option for Dell Utility ,C: and other Data Drivers ( It is always used if it is a different hardware )

Changes to Hidden Restore Anywhere , since this is a SBS 2008  uncheck the option "Run mini setup" for C: and all Data Drives , you can also uncheck the same for Dell Utility.( Run mini setup works in a reverse manner for SBS )

Unlike Windows Welcome which can take up to 60 minutes or more to set up Windows, Mini- setup takes about six minutes. Specific information, including accepting the End - User License Agreement, entering the Product Key, user name, and company name are automatically applied by Mini - Setup which uses the answer file.

1. Delete Drivers 2. Prompt for Drivers are to be unchecked.

We are requesting you to mark the forums as Solution , so that is makes easier for the viewer to search and refer the posts with "Solutions"