Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

System Recovery 2013 failing on SBS2003

Created: 22 Apr 2013 • Updated: 20 Feb 2014 | 12 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Hi there

Im having quite a strange problem.

Recently I installed a System Recovery 2013 on my SBS2003 server.

It has four backup jobs assinged, for troubleshooting purposes.

1. Backup of c-drive to internal harddrive

2. Backup of d-drive to internal harddrive

3. Backup of c-drive to external USB drive

4. Backup of d-drive to external USB drive

Backup no. 1, 3 and 4 all finishes without problems. But no 2 frequently stops with eg. this error message:

"Error EC8F17B7: Cannot create recovery points for job: d-drive backup.
 Error E7C3000F: Device \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy44 cannot read 8192 sectors starting at LBA 42026904.
  Error EBAB03F1: Following Operating System error occurred while performing requested operation: 'The device is not ready.' (UMI:V-281-3215-6071)

Details:
Source: Symantec System Recovery"

I've scanned all the harddrives for errors with "HD Tune" - No filesystem errors and no sector errors. I've also scanned the harddrive with chkdsk /f /r. No problems. - So it seems like there is no problems on the harddrive.

I've tried to enable Full VSS copy, with no success.

The System Recover is fully pathed through liveupdate.

Operating Systems:

Comments 12 CommentsJump to latest comment

Foralias's picture

Ups - Forgot to mention, that the antivirus is also disabled for the internal backup drive.

Foralias's picture

Here is one of the other error messages:

Error EC8F17B7: Cannot create recovery points for job: d-drive backup.
 Error E7C3000F: Device \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy28 cannot read 8192 sectors starting at LBA 94909440.
  Error EBAB03F1: Following Operating System error occurred while performing requested operation: 'The system cannot find the file specified.' (UMI:V-281-3215-6071)

Details:
Source: Symantec System Recovery

grantpsd's picture

I have run across this before. If you have scanned the drive in question and found it to be sound, you can go into the backup job and I believe it is in the advanced options and check the box that says ignore bad sectors.

I can't be sure, but I think this may be a software bug.

After the first couple of successful backups, make sure that you can mount the backup.

If this solves your problem, please mark this post as the solution.

SOLUTION
grantpsd's picture

Just out of curriousity, what are the stats of the source and destination drives in your scenario #2. ie...Mfg, Model and size. So far the 2 times I have encountered this was with Western Digital RE4 1TB drives.

Also, do you have the "Verify after backup" option checked.

Foralias's picture

Hi - Thanks I'll try the "Ignore bad sectors" option. And return if unsuccessful :-)

The drives are Compaq 136 GB SCSI drives mounted in an HP Proliant ML350 G4p in an RAID 1 configuration. - These are the internal backup drives. Im assuming thats the one failing, since the external USB backup of the same drive finishes without problems.

grantpsd's picture

Did this solve your problem?

Foralias's picture

I can't say it did. Backup has been running for 22 hous now, so I think I'll kill it, and reboot the server. And then I'll get back to you :-)

Dave_H's picture

Between your first and third posts here, did you actually fix any bad sectors?

The reason why I'm asking is that the errors show the bad sectors in 2 different locations.  Either you fixed the bad sectors and more appeared (hard drive is failing fast).  Or something very strange is going on.

If you think about it, it would be very unlikely that SSR can spot bad sectors while imaging the partition to an internal drive but never complain when you image the same partition to an external drive.

If it was me, I would do a "one time backup" to a third location and see if it fails like #2 or completes like #4.

Dave 

Foralias's picture

Nope - All the sector scanning of the harddrives, has been done before posting this community.

Neither chkdsk not HD Tune did find any errors.

Dave_H's picture

Try my other suggestion.

Your getting errors making images to an internal drive but your not getting errors imaging the same partition to an external drive.

Make a "one time image" to a third location and see if it errors out like #2 or completes like #4.

If it has no errors I would suspect your internal destination.  Keep in mind your getting other errors in addition to the supposedly "bad sectors".  'The device is not ready.' and  'The system cannot find the file specified.'

Dave

Foralias's picture

Hi Dave

Thanks for your suggestion, but is it not strange that the c-drive can do a valid backup on the same internal disk then?

Foralias's picture

After enabling the "Ignore bad sectors" option, for the specific job. The backup has now run two times without problems. And I'm able to mount the recoverypoint.

But before I jump to the moon out of pure joy, I'll have to monitor it for a week or so.

I'll let you guys know :-)