Video Screencast Help

System recovery 2013 Granular Restore

Created: 06 May 2014 • Updated: 12 May 2014 | 21 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Get the following error when trying to open Image from Desktop Pc - As attached. I have tried direct Granular Restore but this require Outlook to run on the machine. I have installed the software on my local desktop but cannot open the image ..   any thoughts ?   Thanks in Advance  . Recovery point browser works fine on image from server and desktop Pc I am trying to verify restoring email from exchange store to recomend this as a solution to a client. I am currently on a trial version.

Operating Systems:

Comments 21 CommentsJump to latest comment

Chris Riley's picture

Have you tried the second option (Use alternate system index file)? Do you get different results?

Can you also check in Help/About and confirm the version you are using.

vixal's picture

Hi Chris - Yes tried both options.  System Recovery 2013  Version 11.0.2.49853 , also checked live upate all ok.

Chris Riley's picture

Can you please reproduce the error and then attach the following file here:

C:\ProgramData\Symantec\Symantec System Recovery\Logs\GranularRestore.log.txt

Also, do you see any errors/warnings in the event logs around the same time?

Chris Riley's picture

Looks like it's trying to access this location:

\\192.xxx.xx.6\d\BACKUP

Is this an old backup destination that was being used in the past?

vixal's picture

No I backed up to NAS Box first, to try and resolve authentication issues ( not on domain nas )

I backed up to server disk to ensure windows security dont come into play but same error..
I can browse the folder direct, have full permissions and even temporarily give my account 
domain admin privs ..

Chris Riley's picture

Can you try the solution mentioned here to see if it helps?

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH128501

vixal's picture

Hi there I've looked at this article, albeit the folder present there is no files within this folder matching the 
description or in fact at all ... just a "*.dbg" that I have tried to delete but same error ..

Chris Riley's picture

What operating system are you running?

Have you searched c:\ for that file (RPAM_Cache.dat)?

vixal's picture

Have searched but not found the file on local PC Windows 8 , Have found on Server 2008 and deleted there

Just recap the current scenario.

I am using my desktop to try and recover data from Server Backup Performed by Server and We 
cannot install Outlook client on Server.. 

Chris Riley's picture

I will need to test this on Windows 8 and get back to you.

What version of Outlook are you using on your Win8 PC?

Chris Riley's picture

Ah, OK. Outlook 2013 is not supported I'm afraid:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH201318

Can you please try on a machine that has Outlook 2010?

vixal's picture

Just disabled firewall completely on Desktop and Found the next message>

Install Microsoft Outlook 2003 or 2007 or 2010   - looks like it does not supoprt 2013 , I will downgrade and update you asap..

thanks for assistance so far

Alber

- Update : Looks like only up to Outlook 2010 supported furthermore need to run on exhange server..  thus 
 a bit of a flaw solution as Microsoft strongly recommend NOT to run Outlook on a Primare Server with    Exchange. I will nevertheless install and see if We can at least recover..

Exchange - Error.jpg
Chris Riley's picture

Why do you think you need to install Outlook on the Exchange server? That is not necessary here.

The error you are getting is related to the EIF file that is used during restores. You should have a folder called 'Backup Information' inside the backup image - it's a hidden folder and will contain the above mentioned EIF file. Can you check this please?

You also need to ensure that you are backing up all volumes that contain Exchange-related information in the same backup job.

And what version of Exchange are you using?

vixal's picture

I have manage to get the restore up and running by installing outlook on the exhange server.. 
so have a option if need be .. will look for the files as mentioned and let you know.

The EIF File is in the backup and We are doing a Full System IDR of all volumes.
I will recheck this 

Chris Riley's picture

Glad to hear you managed to get it working.

This suggest that the backup image is ok and the issue is clearly with the Win8 PC. Can you manually mount each backup image (.v2i file) on your Win8 PC via windows explorer? To mount manually, just right-click on each v2i file and choose the mount option.

vixal's picture

EIF File is present ..

Contend as below..

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<ExchangeInfo xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
<_binaryPath>C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\bin\</_binaryPath>
<_eifVersion>2.0</_eifVersion>
<_exchangeVersion>Version 14.0 (Build 30639.21)</_exchangeVersion>
<_ssrPlatform>Trial</_ssrPlatform>
<_volumeList>
<VolumeInfo>
<_serialNumber>2894180672</_serialNumber>
<_volumeName>\\?\Volume{2b481818-d865-11da-933e-806e6f6e6963}\</_volumeName>
<_mountPoints>
</_mountPoints>
</VolumeInfo>
<VolumeInfo>
<_serialNumber>471730602</_serialNumber>
<_volumeName>\\?\Volume{e3a35bce-d865-11da-854b-00110a535b09}\</_volumeName>
<_mountPoints>
<MountPoint>
<_path>D:\</_path>
</MountPoint>
</_mountPoints>
</VolumeInfo>
<VolumeInfo>
<_serialNumber>1619647530</_serialNumber>
<_volumeName>\\?\Volume{2b481819-d865-11da-933e-806e6f6e6963}\</_volumeName>
<_mountPoints>
<MountPoint>
<_path>C:\</_path>
</MountPoint>
</_mountPoints>
</VolumeInfo>
</_volumeList>
<_storageGroups>
<StorageGroup>
<_caption>WIN-J9AEFHDGR8A</_caption>
<_logPath></_logPath>
<_logPrefix></_logPrefix>
<_topLevel>TRUE</_topLevel>
<_messageStores>
<MessageStore>
<_caption>Mailbox Database 1224118546</_caption>
<_filename>C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\Mailbox\Mailbox Database 1224118546\Mailbox Database 1224118546.edb</_filename>
<_logPath>C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\Mailbox\Mailbox Database 1224118546</_logPath>
<_logPrefix>E00</_logPrefix>
<_stmFilename></_stmFilename>
<_topLevel>FALSE</_topLevel>
</MessageStore>
</_messageStores>
</StorageGroup>
</_storageGroups>
</ExchangeInfo>

We are using Exchange 2010 Standard

vixal's picture

" Glad to hear you managed to get it working.

This suggest that the backup image is ok and the issue is clearly with the Win8 PC. Can you manually   mount each backup image (.v2i file) on your Win8 PC via windows explorer? To mount manually, just right-click on each v2i file and choose the mount option. "

-  Yes I can mount image from windows 8 Pc, Just the Granular Restore that is not working..

Chris Riley's picture

I think this needs further investigation then. I would recommend that you open a support case for this.

vixal's picture

Thanks Chris,

I will review this as We are not partners at this stage, and have a solution for the time being that allow me to perform a single mail restore that I need to be able to do to recomment this as a solution.

Thanks for assistance in the issue.

Kind Regards

vixal

SOLUTION