Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

System Restore 2011 vs Backup Exec

Created: 03 Jun 2011 | 1 comment
nfshirley's picture

Hi

Apologies if this has been asked before, I did search but was unable to find anything.

Could someone explain what the main drawbacks would be in implementing Symantec System Restore 2011 as a backup as well as DR solution instead of Symantec Backup Exec?

Let me give an example, if we have a file server, exchange server and sql server, could you we simply install System Restore 2011 on all 3 servers and snapshot off to a large NAS device?

If we did this, would we be able to restore individual emails and documents under this solution?

I understand you can't backup to tape, but we very rarely use tape anymore anyway.

Any help, advice or pointing in the right direction would be very appreciated.

Many thanks

Neil

Comments 1 CommentJump to latest comment

Chris Riley's picture

Let me give an example, if we have a file server, exchange server and sql server, could you we simply install System Restore 2011 on all 3 servers and snapshot off to a large NAS device?

Yes

If we did this, would we be able to restore individual emails and documents under this solution?

Yes

Backup Exec has more features but if you simply want to backup the entire server then System Recovery is a simple solution.