Video Screencast Help
Give us your opinion and win with Symantec! Please help us by taking this survey to tell us about your experience with Symantec Connect, so that we can continue to grow and improve.  Take the survey.

System Restore on Win7 64 bit with WinRE using new PGP 10.3

Created: 25 Jan 2013 | 1 comment

So our organization got the new PGP 10.3 with the new WinPE tools with 64 bit support.  (THANK YOU!)

I was able to make a new WinPE 3.1 on a UFD and used pgppe to add the tools into my boot.wim file and I can now authorize myself to a PGP encrypted disk using 64bit WinPE.   yay!

So I need to take it one step further.   How do I do a system restore on a PGP encrypted Win7 64 bit system?

So what I did was this:

1.  Made a 2nd stick, but instead of winpe.wim, I extracted the WinRE.wim file from our Win7 64bit ISO

2.  used pgppe to add pgp tools to the WinRE.wim

3.  I am able to boot up my WinRE stick.  WinRE cannot initially see the encrypted C drive so I get to a command prompt,   run pgpwde --disk 0 --auth -p XXXX to authorize myself.  I can now see the contents of the C drive

4.  I run winpeshl.exe to invoke the recovery environment again.   WinRE is now able to see my OS.

5.  But when I run system restore, it fails to see any restore points.   I boot back up normally without WinRE and verify that there are in fact, multiple restore points available.  In addition, I manually create a restore point.   I boot back into WinRE, but it still fails to see any restore points even though I've authorized myself to the encrypted drive and can see the OS.

What am I missing?   I have yet to mess around with the MSDart tools, is it preferrable to add the PGP tools to MSDart and use that instead for recovery?

I realize this isn't specifically a problem with PGP since the pgp tools appear to work fine, but my google searching is not netting me any results so I figured I might find help here.  

Thanks in advance!

Comments 1 CommentJump to latest comment

NETimMenke's picture

still haven't been able to find an answer to this problem.

I did see this forum thread:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/pgp-wde-tools-installed-inside-dart

winpeshl.exe restarts the console, but System Restore still won't see any system restore points

I've made a MSDaRT disk as well and I get the same experience.    MSDaRT loads,  it fails to see the drive, I run pgpwde to authorize myself to the drive, I run winpeshl to re-load the console, MSDaRT can now see the Windows 7 installation (we're on 64bit however and I'm running MSDaRT 7 64bit) and in addition it even prompts for the admin password so that part seems to be happy.  BUT...when I run System Restore...it errors out saying that it couldn't find any System Restore points.

What I've also noticed however is that when I run winpeshl, the NIC drivers don't get reloaded and I lose network connectivity.  Not that I think that has anything to do with the main issue, but thought it worth noting.  I keep thinking that if I'm losing network access when I run winpeshl, maybe something isn't getting re-loaded that System Restore needs to access the restore points.