Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

system slowness after Upgrading the SEP 12.1 RU3 ,

Created: 11 Sep 2013 | 20 comments

user facing system slowness and booting times is slowing down when booting off of the  network,

I am not user this is becasue of SEP 12.1 RU3 client . Just want to know if some one face this type of issues ?

Operating Systems:

Comments 20 CommentsJump to latest comment

.Brian's picture

What components do you have installed?

Please click the "Mark as solution" link at bottom left on the post that best answers your question. This will benefit admins looking for a solution to the same problem.

Mithun Sanghavi's picture

Hello,

Check this article:

Troubleshooting slow boot times in Symantec Endpoint Protection and Symantec AntiVirus

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH106311

Secondly, First thought is to check out your Virus and Spyware protection policy under Administrator Defined Scans -> Advanced and make sure the "Allow startup scans to run when users log on" checkbox, ensure this is disabled.  

Same for the "Run an Active Scan when new definitions arrive" for that matter.  Either option could be the cause of slowdown when user machines turn on their machines.

Hope that helps!!

Mithun Sanghavi
Senior Consultant
MIM | MCSA | MCTS | STS | SSE | SSE+ | ITIL v3

Don't forget to mark your thread as 'SOLVED' with the answer that best helped you.

San1985's picture

Hi Brian,

we have installed SEP components..

Hi Mithun,,

Let me check the check your options 

cus000's picture

Issue solved yet? What Brian meant was which component did you instal... all or AV/AS only?

Mithun Sanghavi's picture

Hello,

We were facing system issue with the KB Articles. Apologize for the inconvenience caused.

Could you please try again?

Mithun Sanghavi
Senior Consultant
MIM | MCSA | MCTS | STS | SSE | SSE+ | ITIL v3

Don't forget to mark your thread as 'SOLVED' with the answer that best helped you.

San1985's picture

Sorry For late reply , I was out of station for past few days.

Yes Still we have an issue,  We have installaed all SEP components. AV/AS and NTP and PTP. 

But NTP policy is not in active , Only AV and PTP  policies are in active , Even if we login through  local admin we are facing system slowness.

can anyone facing slowness , after upgrading to SEP 12.1 RU3.

Hi Mithun,

Below option was already disabled .

Administrator Defined Scans -> Advanced and make sure the "Allow startup scans to run when users log on" checkbox, ensure this is disabled.  

SameerU's picture

hi

Whether trusted files are checked

Regards

San1985's picture

Hi Sameer,

Where I can check this setting (Trusted files)?

.Brian's picture

Did you open a support case?

Please click the "Mark as solution" link at bottom left on the post that best answers your question. This will benefit admins looking for a solution to the same problem.

San1985's picture

NO Brian.. I just looking for basic trouble shooting, if it not working then I'll open acase 

.Brian's picture

Than start by installing only AV. If that works fine install PTP, if that works fine, install NTP.

I've seen some complaints about RU3 and the firewall but I've not seen an outcome after cases have been opened. Perhaps they're still in process.

Rafeeq's picture

First try this , if it does'nt help then please open a case

Which tuning is available for improving the performance of Symantec Endpoint Protection clients during scan

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH143941

San1985's picture

Hi Rafeeq,

We don't have any issues during scanning , we have issue only during windows logon.

.Brian's picture

Check your traffic log. Does it show any blocks? Assuming you're on a domain, is any traffic being blocked to/from the DC?

San1985's picture

Hi Brian,

We don't have any issues until SEP 12.1 RU3 upgrade, all are good until upgrade. Already we have  disable the NTP policy . Only AV and PTP policy are enabled.

Yes we are in Domain , traffice logs means?

.Brian's picture

The Traffic log is for the firewall.

I'm trying to get an idea of component is causing the issue. The only time the slowness occurs is during logon?

San1985's picture

Hi  Brian ,

As I mentioned above we have disbaled the firewall policy from starting due to some issues.

.Brian's picture

I would suggest a support call so they can go thru some advanced debugging

Troubleshooting computer issues with the Symantec Help support tool

Article:HOWTO80839  |  Created: 2012-10-24  |  Updated: 2013-10-07  |  Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO80839