Video Screencast Help
Give us your opinion and win with Symantec! Please help us by taking this survey to tell us about your experience with Symantec Connect, so that we can continue to grow and improve.  Take the survey.

System state backup failing (only) win2k3 sp2 AD BE2012

Created: 24 Apr 2013 | 3 comments

BE 14.0 rev 1798 32bit

Trying to backup active directory server running windows server 2003 sp2 32 bit with agent version 14.0 1798

D2D backup: Physical volumes backup but system state does not

D2T backup: System state backup will complete if backing up to tape.

Backup volume is 4TB and issue is exactly like this article:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH65586

This article says "Issue has been taken care on Backup Exec 2010 R3 SP2"

I think it's back for 2012!

Going to try the VSS rollup update that I missed: KB940349 to see if that helps.

Operating Systems:

Comments 3 CommentsJump to latest comment

pkh's picture

You got to reformat your disk to 512KB blocksize to resolve your problem.

Colin Weaver's picture

If your 4TB volume is using a 4k sector size then that is not officially supported by Microsoft unless you are running Windows 2012 and we do not yet suport Windows 2012. Note: Typically we are seeing USB disks above 2TB preformatted with 4K sector sizes.

A 4k sector size on a disk storage location is documented elsewhere as causing issues for Backup Exec GRT processes. You have to change it to 512 or 512e (reformat the volume)

If however it is a 512byte sector size then please log a formal support case as just because your symptoms look like that old (non-BE 2012 article) does NOT mean that the root cause is the same and we will need to investigate.

dbiddle's picture

J is my target volume and "fsutil fsinfo ntfsinfo J:" returns 4096 so you are correct, 4k sector size.

Makes sense too, it seems that the strange errors were introduced when I started backing up to that volume.

What confused me was that some jobs would be fine on the same server and others would fail using the same target so I didn't even think the target was the issue.

Thank you both for your help! I'll reformat and break it into smaller target volumes. Looks like 512 sector size yields a max of 2TB.