File Share Encryption

View Only
  • 1.  T60 System does not boot after HDD has been encrypted by WDE 10.1.1

Posted Feb 15, 2011 08:36 AM

Hello,
    I encrypted my data partition on my HDD by PGP WDE 10.1.1.
    But my Lenovo T60 does not start when I reboot the notebook and enter passphrase successfully. The PGP passphrase screen disappears after entering passphrase and a cursor is flashing in upper-left corner. Nothing happens.

I restored my system from a data backup and tried to encrypt my HDD serveral time by WDE. I can encrypt the drive but it does not reboot after the drive is encrypted by WDE!

Could it be possible that PGP damage MBR or boot block? It seems that PGP WDE 10.1.1 has a bug.

How can I fix the problem?
    Can I write a new MBR or boot block by bootrec.exe?

FYI: I use PGP WDE for years. Everything worked fine untill I upgraded to 10.1.1.

• 2.  RE: T60 System does not boot after HDD has been encrypted by WDE 10.1.1

Posted Feb 24, 2011 03:50 PM

When PGP Desktop is used to encrypt a drive it copies the original MBR to a different location on disk. It store information relevant to authentication in another couple of locaitons and then creates a new MBR which contains pointers it needs to these other pieces of data.

If you were to replace the MBR, you would not be able to access the data without using a recovery CD or attaching the drive to another computer with PGP installed and using the command line wde utility with the --recover option.

Which version of Windows do you have installed? What sort of antivirus/antispyware/antiadware do you have installed? Do you know when definitions were last updated for said security software?

• 3.  RE: T60 System does not boot after HDD has been encrypted by WDE 10.1.1

Posted Feb 24, 2011 05:58 PM

But how can I tell the computer to start windows on an encrypted drive?
    (The notebook boots, PGP passphrase screen appears; but windows does not start after I enter pasphrase successfully.)

Antivirus: Norton 360 Premiere Edition 4.3.0.5
    Norton updates every hour. But I don't know if definitions were updated while encryption.

• 4.  RE: T60 System does not boot after HDD has been encrypted by WDE 10.1.1

Posted Mar 03, 2011 01:05 PM

What should I do if the PC does not boot after first restart when drive encryption is completed?
    I encrypted my drive several times. The PC does not boot after I encryption is finaished successfully.

Please answer my question. the license ends in April. If you cannot help me I have to discontinue the contract.

• 5.  RE: T60 System does not boot after HDD has been encrypted by WDE 10.1.1

Posted Mar 04, 2011 08:19 AM

Hi Juergen,

this is only a community forum here, you may want to use your license to get real support through the support portal.

As for your problem: Check out this link: https://pgp.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1488/~/computer-displays-blinking-cursor-after-entering-passphrase

There you will also find more info on how to create a rescue cd.

And of course this: http://grandstreamdreams.blogspot.com/2009/07/hell-in-handbasket-system-rescue-part-i.html

Regards,

Battou

• 6.  RE: T60 System does not boot after HDD has been encrypted by WDE 10.1.1

Posted Mar 22, 2011 04:25 PM

Do you have an open support case on this issue? We are aware of some problems with a BCOD (Blinking Cursor of Death) after installing PGP Desktiop 10.1.1 we are told that this is fixed in SP1 by engineering. I have seen this fix some customers issues, but with some customers, the issue still persists.

If you do have an open case with support. would you mind producing the case number in here? I would like to investigate this, so taht we can find what the root cause is for this problem if at all possible.